How To: Make Mirror Signal LED's Dual Function As Running Lights and Blinkers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsul92

Reaction score
In this tutorial, you will learn how to make the signal leds in your mirrors dual function as running lights and blinkers. This will work on any 03-06 mirror with a signal. It is geared towards aftermarket tow mirrors with the amber Leds on the side. It will work n mirrors with red arrows, however i advise against that.

This tutorial is for 2003-2006. If enough people want, i will do one on 2007-2013 as it is a different procedure. What you're going to need:

4: 3 amp 200 piv diodes (radioshack)
2: 68 ohm resistors (radioshack)
Screwdriver
Solder/Solder Iron
Wire Strippers AND Wire Cutters (For cutting hard to reach wireties)
Electrical Tape
Wire Ties
Socket Wrench with 6" Extension
9/32 Bit & Torx T20 (For removing Door panel)
10MM Socket (For Removing Mirror)
15' Wire (16 Gauge is fine)

Ok first thing youll need to do is remove the door panel. 1AAuto Made a great video of that if you dont know how.
How To Install Replace Remove a Door Panel Chevy Silverado GMC Sierra 03-06 1AAuto.com - YouTube

On your mirror hatness, there should be two plugs, One black and one blue. We will need to tap into the Blue/White wire in the Blue plug.

Step 1: Solder a diode in line on the blue wire.

Step 2: Solder a diode in so it goes the same way as the other diode, but meets the blue/white wire after the first diode. (I know this is hard to explain, see wiring diagram for details)

Step 3: Solder a 68 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in on the front side of the diode in step 2.

Step 4: Tap into the front left parking light wire, run a wire into the cab and into both doors. It will connect to the 68 ohm resistor.

Wiring Tap Diagram:
w1fehu.jpg

Here is a detailed video showing where i tapped and where i ran wires.
GM Towing Mirror Mod (Running/Blinker Dual Function) - YouTube

It is really simple to do, and it looks great on the truck. Mine have been on for about a week, and 5 people have stopped me and ask how i did it. So im sure this will be of use to some people.

OP
OP
B

bsul92

Reaction score
Just curious: why is it that you DO NOT reccomend this for the red arrow mirrors?

I'm not sure where you're from, but up here we have alot of ignorant/reckless/impatient drivers. I just feel like having the arrows lit up full time could confuse some people into thinking your turning when you aren't. But It will work fine on the arrow mirrors and will not harm your mirror in any way.

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you're from, but up here we have alot of ignorant/reckless/impatient drivers. I just feel like having the arrows lit up full time could confuse some people into thinking your turning when you aren't. But It will work fine on the arrow mirrors and will not harm your mirror in any way.

Oh, right, the "moron factor". You're prolly right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbrown415