How to get better fuel mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cigartoyz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Everyone....I am new to the forum. I just got a 2007 tahoe Z71 2WD with a 5.3L. I was looking to increase fuel economy. I know with diesel trucks the programers mixed with exhaust and an intake will add mileage. Is this true for the gas trucks. I was looking to do the same with an intake exhaust and a programer. Any other sugestions for mods and any particular programing. I was looking at an SCT programer with a custom tune, magnaflow cat back and an AFE stage 2 intak. All opinions wanted.

Thanks

bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do to it, it will never be close to a deisel with a programmer and intake results. On gas motors there is t really much you can do to increase mpg. You can put a custom tuner, exhaust and intake and maybe pick up 3-5 mpg better..that's a big maybe

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
accelrate slower, coast to stops, try to time lights, and drive at a slower speed on the highway... like 60-65. that will give you more mpg gains than speding a bunch of money on parts to get better mpg. In addition, don't upgrade the wheels to larger sizes, don't get wider tires, don't add a fonking huge stereo sytem.

add the cost of all the parts ie $*** dollars (say $800)
calculate how many miles you drive a year and then times the average cost of gas ($3)
12000x $3 / 16 = 2,250
do the same for the expected mpg
12000 x $3 /18 = 2000

subtract and compare fuel savings to the cost of improving mpg via hard parts and tuning.

$800 to save $250 a year... that's pretty much just a break even over 3-4 years, the average time someone keeps an SUV.

:)

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gentle on the gas and gentle on the brakes... which is damn near impossible in city traffic, but best of luck!

OP
OP
C

cigartoyz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I am actually looking to increase towing performance as well as mileage. I bought the Hoe for a tow/baby vehicle and I really enjoy driving it so much that my Ws6 trans am has been sitting in the garage since I got the Tahoe. If I can pick up some better mileage while increasing HP that would be great. Oh yeah I drive the truck like Miss Daisy. Pretty do everything that Eagle is saying....

xodave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 02 Kon, I drive slow and try to coast when ever posible,
I installed a K&N cold air and a Gibson Cat Back exhaust and my average MPG mosty city/traffic driving went from 14.2 mpg to 14.8 mpg and I had improved HP.
I am tempted to install ELECTRIC FANs, has anyone experienced better MPG W/ E-fans
Thanks

timjohnson22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I increased my gas mileage by 3 miles per gallon in the city and about 5 in the highway. I have the diablosport (More power and better gas mileage). Look at my site on cardomain below.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Cruise control, tire pressure, throttle control, clean air filter. Not much you can do more than that unless you get Justin @ Black Bear to give you an economy tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879