How to fix Hot Air when A/C is on. Install new air mix/blend door actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would these instructions, location of part, apply to Yukon XL 2001?

jose6326

Reaction score
has anyone done a write up for the rear hvac system?

i have no issues with the front heat or ac. all vents work properly
but when i turn on the rear ac system (controls on the head liner) it only blows hot air

JBH1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to add to an old thread, but I have a problem.

Chevy Tahoe LT 2000

AC does not cool period. Not front, back anywhere.

It blows perfectly. Just warm/cool air. (More on the warm side)

Defrost works fine.

Heat works fine. Too well.

I believe I have a Freon leak. Tried to add and it won't let me. Gauge says full. Almost to full.

Air blows in all vents, just warm.

AC compressor turns on. Still warm.

It will work in the morning on the way to work. When I leave work to come home, it's warm air.

This morning, it did not work. No cool air that is.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(Added to a new thread.)

Thanks.

JBH

Kingx1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out which part number the actuator is for the blend door. I just replaced the main mode door actuator so that's fixed...not I need to replace the blend door so I get more than just hot air from the passenger side. Anyone have the part number?

Maine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been having a problem of Hot Air blowing out of the passenger front vents when the A/C is turned on. If I would switch to the heat setting, and then go back to cold setting, heat would still blow out of the vents even tho I could hear compressor working. Have had this problem for a year now, and asked on this forum but nobody new the answer, n some people had same problem, so thought I would help anybody out who may have this problem.

Well I flushed my radiator today and had to turn the heat on high to flush and fill radiator. When I turned the switch back to cold and turned A/C on, still hot air was blowing out of vents. It is way too hot in Arizona to not have Airconditioning!!! So I finally figured out what was the problem and here it is.

It is a faulty Air Mix actuator or Blend door actuator.View attachment 103816

It is located on the passenger side floor board under the dash.If you have the hush panel it will need to be removed using 7mm socket.View attachment 103817

Next you will disconnect the wiring harness and remove the two 5.5mm screw heads.View attachment 103818
View attachment 103819
View attachment 103820
After both screw are removed, the rear one is alittle difficult to get to so I just used the socket itself. The actuator itself should just pull right down, may be alittle tricky if fully in stop position.View attachment 103821

I purchased a new actuator, and just reinstalled back into vehicle. You will want to make sure the door is positioned the same as the actuator by moving the arm in the vehicle, NOT THE ACTUATOR. DON'T ADJUST ACTUATOR ITSELF, LEAVE THE WAY YOU PURCHASED. Mine was set in the cold.View attachment 103822

If you buy a new actuator, you need to make sure the part numbers match because they make many different styles of of these actuators for different vehicles and climate controls. Mine may differ from yours so don't base my part number on what you need to buy.

Now here is the tricky part that I had to research. Thanks to a site called Sparky's Answers, I was able to figure this all out and pass it onto everyone here. Very good information recieved, and very thurough. So I am going to use some of his information so everyone will be informed correctly.

Now supposedly if you have a scan tool you can adjust and calibrate the actuator thru the scan tool. Since I don't, he also gave information on how to calibrate without a scan tool. So here ya go.

First once you get actuator, new or used, make sure it can not move( I mean the metal know shouldn't be able to move by hand and diffenently don't move with pliers), if so, it is probably bad, if not go ahead and install the way it comes, and reconnect wiring. Then you will disconnect the battery for atleast 30 seconds. Then reconnect battery, turn the ignition to the ON position for atleast 1 minute, but he suggested 3-4 minutes so that's what I did, and DO NOT TOUCH THE A/C CONTROLS!!! You will then turn ignition to the OFF position for atleast 10 seconds, then start the engine and confirm the new actuator is working correctly by turning the climate knob from cold to hot. If all was done correctly it will work!! I checked the actuator by being on the passenger side, turning ignition on, moving climate knob, and sticking my head under dash to watch for the actuator to move.

SUCCESS!!! Hope this write up helps anybody with this same problem. Any questions please feel free to ask, and I will do my best to help. If I missed anything, or miss typed, very sorry, my kid is trying to help write this!! LOL
Just what
I have been having a problem of Hot Air blowing out of the passenger front vents when the A/C is turned on. If I would switch to the heat setting, and then go back to cold setting, heat would still blow out of the vents even tho I could hear compressor working. Have had this problem for a year now, and asked on this forum but nobody new the answer, n some people had same problem, so thought I would help anybody out who may have this problem.

Well I flushed my radiator today and had to turn the heat on high to flush and fill radiator. When I turned the switch back to cold and turned A/C on, still hot air was blowing out of vents. It is way too hot in Arizona to not have Airconditioning!!! So I finally figured out what was the problem and here it is.

It is a faulty Air Mix actuator or Blend door actuator.View attachment 103816

It is located on the passenger side floor board under the dash.If you have the hush panel it will need to be removed using 7mm socket.View attachment 103817

Next you will disconnect the wiring harness and remove the two 5.5mm screw heads.View attachment 103818
View attachment 103819
View attachment 103820
After both screw are removed, the rear one is alittle difficult to get to so I just used the socket itself. The actuator itself should just pull right down, may be alittle tricky if fully in stop position.View attachment 103821

I purchased a new actuator, and just reinstalled back into vehicle. You will want to make sure the door is positioned the same as the actuator by moving the arm in the vehicle, NOT THE ACTUATOR. DON'T ADJUST ACTUATOR ITSELF, LEAVE THE WAY YOU PURCHASED. Mine was set in the cold.View attachment 103822

If you buy a new actuator, you need to make sure the part numbers match because they make many different styles of of these actuators for different vehicles and climate controls. Mine may differ from yours so don't base my part number on what you need to buy.

Now here is the tricky part that I had to research. Thanks to a site called Sparky's Answers, I was able to figure this all out and pass it onto everyone here. Very good information recieved, and very thurough. So I am going to use some of his information so everyone will be informed correctly.

Now supposedly if you have a scan tool you can adjust and calibrate the actuator thru the scan tool. Since I don't, he also gave information on how to calibrate without a scan tool. So here ya go.

First once you get actuator, new or used, make sure it can not move( I mean the metal know shouldn't be able to move by hand and diffenently don't move with pliers), if so, it is probably bad, if not go ahead and install the way it comes, and reconnect wiring. Then you will disconnect the battery for atleast 30 seconds. Then reconnect battery, turn the ignition to the ON position for atleast 1 minute, but he suggested 3-4 minutes so that's what I did, and DO NOT TOUCH THE A/C CONTROLS!!! You will then turn ignition to the OFF position for atleast 10 seconds, then start the engine and confirm the new actuator is working correctly by turning the climate knob from cold to hot. If all was done correctly it will work!! I checked the actuator by being on the passenger side, turning ignition on, moving climate knob, and sticking my head under dash to watch for the actuator to move.

SUCCESS!!! Hope this write up helps anybody with this same problem. Any questions please feel free to ask, and I will do my best to help. If I missed anything, or miss typed, very sorry, my kid is trying to help write this!! LOL
Just the info I need. Thanks

xjsc16x

Reaction score
Ditto on the blend door actuator.

My air was always hot, no matter where the temp setting was. Compressor was turning on, pressure was good and lines were ice cold. I pulled the beauty cover off and then pulled off the actuator with it still plugged in and could see it was barely moving at all between full hot and full cold. Moved the rod for the door myself and was immediately blasted with ice cold air.

New one's on the way in, $30 and change from Rockauto.

-Justin

xjsc16x

Reaction score
Ditto on the blend door actuator.

My air was always hot, no matter where the temp setting was. Compressor was turning on, pressure was good and lines were ice cold. I pulled the beauty cover off and then pulled off the actuator with it still plugged in and could see it was barely moving at all between full hot and full cold. Moved the rod for the door myself and was immediately blasted with ice cold air.

New one's on the way in, $30 and change from Rockauto.

-Justin

I made a new thread on it, but the new actuator didn't do it for me. Same exact symptoms as the old one. Only moves about half a degree between full hot and full cold. Not sure how to go about testing the signal sent by the controls.

-Justin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972