How to determine Towing power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sonic2211

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was reading on another thread about 2012-2014 Escalades. I saw that they don't have the integrated brake controller but an aftermarket one can be added. Is this also true for the yukon xl Denali or should I continue to look for one that has JL1? Just wondering about widening my search for an Escalade with comparable towing specs.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading on another thread about 2012-2014 Escalades. I saw that they don't have the integrated brake controller but an aftermarket one can be added. Is this also true for the yukon xl Denali or should I continue to look for one that has JL1? Just wondering about widening my search for an Escalade with comparable towing specs.
That's right, no JL1 on the Eskys. All Denalis after 2008 can have the JL1. Payload capacity is less on Escalades which can take away from towing capacity if you're towing towards the limits. Same with Yukon Denalis versus Yukon SLTs, etc.

Longer wheelbase tows better.

My Yukon XL SLT has a payload capacity of 1499 pounds. A Yukon XL Denali on here has a payload capacity of around 1350 pounds, forget exactly. Numbers wise, the SLT can ultimately pull more but in reality, the Denali with it's 6.2 will pull just fine. Both have the same brakes!

OP
OP
S

sonic2211

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's right, no JL1 on the Eskys. All Denalis after 2008 can have the JL1. Payload capacity is less on Escalades which can take away from towing capacity if you're towing towards the limits. Same with Yukon Denalis versus Yukon SLTs, etc.

Longer wheelbase tows better.

My Yukon XL SLT has a payload capacity of 1499 pounds. A Yukon XL Denali on here has a payload capacity of around 1350 pounds, forget exactly. Numbers wise, the SLT can ultimately pull more but in reality, the Denali with it's 6.2 will pull just fine. Both have the same brakes!
Thanks so much, that's helpful. The one other thing I've been debating is the AWD on the Denali vs a 4wd on a SLT. We are in Maine so definitely need the option of 4wd/awd but don't need it all the time. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, that's helpful. The one other thing I've been debating is the AWD on the Denali vs a 4wd on a SLT. We are in Maine so definitely need the option of 4wd/awd but don't need it all the time. Any thoughts? Thanks again!
I wanted a 4x4 so that meant SLT for me instead of the Denali. In hindsight, it's probably not as big a deal as originally thought. Both are very reliable systems and the AWD system doesn't cost much gas mileage wise over RWD. We play off-road and the 2-speed transfer case and 4x4s in general get through the soup a little differently than AWD. Still, the AWD system is still very capable off road. Denalis start out with 20" wheels (18 for the older ones) and mine still has 17 inch wheels which I love for the tall sidewall which helps in playing off road and makes for a nice ride without relying on fancy shocks and struts that the Denalis have.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James is giving you great advice. In my opinion, you will be happier towing with the Denali. While you may lose 100-150 lbs in payload, from a practical standpoint, the extra horsepower and torque make a big difference in how much time you can stay in a higher gear. A few folks here have said they have towed with both 5.3 and 6.2 trucks and observed that the 6.2 just doesn’t have to work as hard.

I prefer the AWD for towing as well because it’s full time and splits the torque load that each drive axle has to take, which for me has resulted in longer rear axle life. One member here reported having to replace his rear drive axle 4 times when towing heavy with a part time 4wd system. The AWD is an extremely reliable and durable system as well.

Also, it’s a simple matter to add a trailer brake controller to one of these trucks because the wiring is already there. But as I mentioned before, you would lose the benefit of automatic sway control that the factory controller offers, which could help you avoid a disaster in emergency maneuvering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sowegatahoe87