How to beat parasitic battery drain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 3 ~ NOCO genius G7200 (2 ~ V1 and 1 ~ V2), I also have a G75, for my fleet and love them.... I use they on all my vehicles that aren't driven daily. One of my G7200 I need to send back in to see what happened to it but if it's bad then it cost me $75 for a new one.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The last one, the 6 is what I use for my truck. The first one, the 4 is the one I use on my Harley. I have ridden the Harley once since my crash 2 years ago and it still starts up like it was ridden yesterday.

Just need for the bike. Drive the Tahoe daily. Thanks Mark. Just ordered it and should be here on 15th.

dashon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My daughter is an over-the-road semi driver, gone for at least 6 to 8 weeks at a time, SUV is sitting long time not driven. Her ride is a 2018 Terrain, but I bet Tahoes may have the same problem. I have been starting and idling it for 15-30 minutes every 3 to 4 weeks, yet a couple of times over the past two years the battery voltage was too low for starting.

This time the battery was dead dead dead. I have charged it up and hope it holds the charge. GMC dealer says we need to drive it at least 25 to 50 miles per week, just idling it won't recharge the battery.

Driving isn't an option, my wife and I are not on her insurance policy. Any suggestions on a battery maintainer that would work leaving it plugged in 24/7 between her home time visits?
Is there an alternative way to keep the battery from draining?

I got a great solution for you. It will kelp it charged and it’s ok to leave on the battery indefinitely. (It’s designed for that) Also it’s very cheap. Battery tender jr. just check the reviews on it.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S

73Vetteman

Reaction score
There is a great deal of good information in this thread but unfortunately some misinformation as well. I maintain over 20 batteries in various applications from tractors, buldozers, personal watercraft, jet, ski, and pontoon boats, classic cars, forklifts, stake trucks, garden tractors, standby generators to name a few.

There are obviously different types for different applications but by far the most universal is the AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) also frequently called a gell cell in smaller batteries. Since they contain a gell instead of liquid they are sometimes referred to as spill proof. They are much more resistant to shock and vibration making them far the perfect choice for pwc's, quads, garden tractors etc. AGM's also have a very slow loss of charge when in storage and therefore survive long periods of neglect during off season use such as classic cars, boats, and other seldom used items like my standby generators. I have a 16 year old AGM battery that is only occasionally used for the winch on my car trailer that still works perfectly. I think that definitely disputes the comment that they have a poor shelf life. I think you can understand why if at all possible I buy AGM's.

It was previously explained that most vehicles have a continuous small draw to maintain clocks or computer memory etc. A solution to that is to disconnect one of the battery cables during storage. Several disconnect devices are available ranging from high capacity switches to terminal adapters with knobs for ease of use. Most of the maintainer/chargers supply enough trickle charge current to overcome that loss. Regardless, it is always a good idea to disconnect a battery when in long term storage.

Many brands of maintainer/chargers are available and most work by turning on if the battery voltage drops below 13.2 volts and turns off when voltage goes above 13.8. That is the actual voltage of what we refer to as a 12 volt battery. When batteries are frequently cycled such as seen in a typical vehicle, the alternator charges to a slightly higher voltage of 14.2 volts or more initially to fully recharge a battery after a start. Vehicle computers in newer vehicles drop the voltage down to the 13.2 range after an extended period of driving to prolong battery life.

I have several different brand maintainers. About 10 of them are Schumacher 1.5 amp charger/ maintainers that were about the only good ones available 20 years ago. Numerous batteries have lasted 10-15 years using those. During the last 5 years or so I purchased several Harbor Freight 1.5 amp charger/maintainers that are very affordable and seem to do the same job. I don't find them to be any different than the more expensive Battery Tender brand that I also own. DONT confuse them with the little trickle battery maintainers sold by H.F. and others that look like a cell phone charger. There are newer maintainers on the market known as high frequency chargers that even automatically adjust to the correct 6/12/24 voltage as required. They are advertised as necessary for the new expensive lithium batteries. I recently purchased a couple of them but don't have enough experience to comment on those yet.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a great deal of good information in this thread but unfortunately some misinformation as well. I maintain over 20 batteries in various applications from tractors, buldozers, personal watercraft, jet, ski, and pontoon boats, classic cars, forklifts, stake trucks, garden tractors, standby generators to name a few.
There are obviously different types for different applications but by far the most universal is the AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) also frequently called a gell cell in smaller batteries. Since they contain a gell instead of liquid they are sometimes referred to as spill proof. They are much more resistant to shock and vibration making them far the perfect choice for pwc's, quads, garden tractors etc. AGM's also have a very slow loss of charge when in storage and therefore survive long periods of neglect during off season use such as classic cars, boats, and other seldom used items like my standby generators. I have a 16 year old AGM battery that has been used for the winch on my car trailer that still works perfectly. I think that definitely disputes the comment that they have a poor shelf life. I think you can understand why if at all possible I buy AGM's.

It was previously explained that most vehicles have a continuous small draw to maintain clocks or computer memory
Yeah I’ve never heard of AGM batteries having a short shelf life. I thought it was the opposite.

OP
OP
K

kuhdwi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

There are obviously different types for different applications but by far the most universal is the AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) also frequently called a gell cell in smaller batteries. Since they contain a gell instead of liquid they are sometimes referred to as spill proof. They are much more resistant to shock and vibration making them far the perfect choice for pwc's, quads, garden tractors etc. AGM's also have a very slow loss of charge when in storage and therefore survive long periods of neglect during off season use such as classic cars, boats, and other seldom used items like my standby generators. I have a 16 year old AGM battery that is only occasionally used for the winch on my car trailer that still works perfectly. I think that definitely disputes the comment that they have a poor shelf life. I think you can understand why if at all possible I buy AGM's.

It was previously explained that most vehicles have a continuous small draw to maintain clocks or computer memory etc. A solution to that is to disconnect one of the battery cables during storage. Several disconnect devices are available ranging from high capacity switches to terminal adapters with knobs for ease of use. Most of the maintainer/chargers supply enough trickle charge current to overcome that loss. Regardless, it is always a good idea to disconnect a battery when in long term storage.

Many brands of maintainer/chargers are available and most work by turning on if the battery voltage drops below 13.2 volts and turns off when voltage goes above 13.8. That is the actual voltage of what we refer to as a 12 volt battery. When batteries are frequently cycled such as seen in a typical vehicle, the alternator charges to a slightly higher voltage of 14.2 volts or more initially to fully recharge a battery after a start. Vehicle computers in newer vehicles drop the voltage down to the 13.2 range after an extended period of driving to prolong battery life.

I have several different brand maintainers. About 10 of them are Schumacher 1.5 amp charger/ maintainers that were about the only good ones available 20 years ago. Numerous batteries have lasted 10-15 years using those. During the last 5 years or so I purchased several Harbor Freight 1.5 amp charger/maintainers that are very affordable and seem to do the same job. I don't find them to be any different than the more expensive Battery Tender brand that I also own. DONT confuse them with the little trickle battery maintainers sold by H.F. and others that look like a cell phone charger. There are newer maintainers on the market known as high frequency chargers that even automatically adjust to the correct 6/12/24 voltage as required. They are advertised as necessary for the new expensive lithium batteries. I recently purchased a couple of them but don't have enough experience to comment on those yet.

Thank you for the information.
I was using an Optimate 3 maintainer and a Schumacher SP3 Battery Xtender. After reading about the different uses I did more research and realized the stores where I bought these (different times, different vehicles) gave me bad advice about what batteries they would recharge/desulfate/maintain. Now I have 2 good ATV units.
I have ordered an Optimate 6 for the Terrain. We'll see how that works.
If my daughter wants to add a disconnect, that is her decision. My only concern was whether the engine control module would freak out every time she parks it for extended period and have to learn all the emission settings all over again. They may only put 100-200 miles on at a time.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was using an Optimate 3 maintainer and a Schumacher SP3 Battery Xtender. After reading about the different uses I did more research and realized the stores where I bought these (different times, different vehicles) gave me bad advice about what batteries they would recharge/desulfate/maintain. Now I have 2 good ATV units.
If my daughter wants to add a disconnect, that is her decision. My only concern was whether the engine control module would freak out every time she parks it for extended period and have to learn all the emission settings all over again. They may only put 100-200 miles on at a time.
The Optimate 6 is what I use for my Silverado that gets parked all winter. It works great for me.

73Vetteman

Reaction score

The computer in newer vehicles does enter a relearn mode if the battery is disconnected for even a relatively short period of time. It is kind of like rebooting your home computer. The major function is to trim the fuel curve as a vehicle is driven to lean the mixture as much as possible for best fuel economy and emission control. I find my vehicles more resonsive and fun to drive for a while after disconnecting the battery. Especially my Corvette!

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I forgot to say that I feel that because of the responsiveness of the vehicle after reconnecting the disconnected battery, I consider that a bonus! The only downside is that you lose the clock and radio memory.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unrolledtoiletpap