How the hell do I remove those last bolt?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
KingJmart

KingJmart

Reaction score
How do you remove the housing from the ball joint I need to take that off in order to place new bolt in

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This sounds like you didn't do much reading about this before the attempt to disassemble. Ok, lift front end and lower it back down with a jack stand close to the lower ball joint and set the bottom of lower control arm on top of the jack stand till all the weight is supported by the stand. Then remove the nuts from the ball joints. Next use a pickle fork to separate the spindle from the ball joints. It looks like you have removed the outer cv joint spline from the hub so it looks like you may have done that on one of the ball joints already. Replace any damaged ball joint rubber boots if they get cut when separate the ball joints from the spindle.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
He got to a stopping point because it didn't come apart and then all the questions started. I bet there is a thread here for all the concerns. It never bothers me to help and we all have to learn but I always went in knowing, after asking, how to get to a finished point and dealt with the unknowns as they came. I understand the seized bolt. The ball joint separation is a head scratcher. That can be dangerous if you don't know what to expect.

OP
OP
KingJmart

KingJmart

Reaction score
As a matter of fact I did plenty of research and thank uraiderron! All research I saw showed no problems removing bolts or ball joint interfering with the removal of bolt. So messing with the ball joint tomorrow

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Now you are just frustrated. No instructions will have a "what if" scenario. they tell you how to take it off and put back together and the research would have explained the ball joint separation scenario. When you come across frozen bolts and limited access they leave that to your imagination.

GunRunner7

Banned
Reaction score
Can't you just cut the guy some slack. Haven't you ever got into a project and something goes sideways and you need a quick answer. This even happens to ASE Master mechanics, they beat their heads trying to figure something out or fix something and just can't get it and gets assistance from another mechanic. If you have valuable knowledge or advice, give it to him and leave the degrading comments out of it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Can't you just cut the guy some slack. Haven't you ever got into a project and something goes sideways and you need a quick answer. This even happens to ASE Master mechanics, they beat their heads trying to figure something out or fix something and just can't get it and gets assistance from another mechanic. If you have valuable knowledge or advice, give it to him and leave the degrading comments out of it.

That's what the last response was. I was stating that since he did his research that is why the frozen bolt and access problems were not covered. The way around those is learned in the field or with a friend looking over your shoulder. I was an ASE Master and believe me I beat my head plenty of times because I would be looking at the answer right in front of me and not see the forest for the trees. Made plenty of dumb mistakes. But some of these things need expertise for safety sake. Saving money is all well and good but separating suspension components can be dangerous and even worse if not reassembled correctly and no one wants that to happen. So I apologize to KingJmart and am happy to help if he still wants or will bow out if that is what he wants.

OP
OP
KingJmart

KingJmart

Reaction score
No hard feelings raiderron. I will gladly take any advice you and whoever else have to offer was just descirbing the head scratcher problem I was in the middle of is all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpark1975