How reliable are power running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new to me denali had power running boards at some point as the wire connectors are dangling on both sides.

I’m thinking to install some boards for kids to get in easier and not sure whether to get regular boards at amazon or find used power boards from wrecked denali/escalades.

Anybody knows how reliable they are?
I guess they were removed at one point for something giving up so the harness might be broken upstream anyways.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power running boards live in a horrible location, those pivot points are doomed. All manufacturers have issues with them failing.
If you have them, spray them down every oil change at the pivot points and expect issues every 4 years if you live anyplace that gets snow / ice.

repairman54

Reaction score
I have power boards on my '11 LTZ. Snow country they freeze up or get sluggish and come down but don't retract. Yeah they are cool and clean up the trucks looks but they are not on my need them list.
Just put the fixed boards on. At the age / mileage of yours its not worth messing with the power boards. Especially with kids as they can be jumping on them before they fully extend.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has 131k on it and I have sprayed them off and lubed them at every wash. I do live in dry New Mexico though. Just clean and lube them. They will keep working, hopefully……

MrMonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sold my 2008 Avalanche with 155K miles and never had any issues with the power running boards. I have 75K miles on my 2018 Yukon Denali and no issues so far with the power running boards. I keep my turned off unless I have short passengers. Love the clean look when closed.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s a regional thing on how often you’ve got to get on them with a lube like WD-40 to dissipate all the road debris and after they’re clear apply a recommended long term lube in the mechanicals.

On our 09 in SoCal I’ve never had an issue in the 3 years of ownership. Obviously in snow & salt it’s something to deal with but no biggie. I like not having mud on my jeans on rainy days.

Dayzoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Yukon Denali - I live northeast of Toronto, Ontario. I've had my Yukon for 11 months now. Since December (our first snowfall of this season) my power running boards have not been happy. I deployed them while I washed the vehicle, stowed them afterwards, and now, every time I get out of the vehicle, the passsenger side deploys. When I start to drive away slowly they go in and out, in and out until I get up to about 25 km/hr.
Next time I'm at the dealer I'll complain about it and see if they'll do anything.

AirJordan613

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Living in northeast Ohio, specifically did not want them. We’re contemplating adding another GMT900 to the stable and do not want the power steps on that one either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts