How much fuel do you take?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont they say never to top off haha

I didn't mean topping off. I meant the pump stopped and I noticed the gallons dispensed seemed a bit low, so I tried again and it stayed on for another few gallons. I've had this happen a few times over the years.

I don't really "top off". But I do run it to the next even dollar. Sorry, but my OCD won't let me leave it otherwise. I'll pull the nozzle out and spray the fuel on the ground if I have to.

OCD-4.jpg

I was joking about spraying the fuel on the ground. I'm loony, not an idiot.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once drove 50 miles and the whole time the Tech2 said I had 11% fuel left. Mine comes off of full rather quickly and then moves steadily to 1/4 where it stays a while. ALL of my other GM cars were the opposite. When the idiot light comes on, it's still rare to put in much more than 26 gallons. Being that the tank is long, I reckon there's about 3 gallons of unusable gas; mine is rated for 31.2 gallons or 31.5 depending on the source.

My thinking that it's simple lack of effort in the design and/or position of the float arm and/or shape of the tank is because I vastly improved mine on my S10. I mounted a 2-door Blazer tank behind the axle, centered between the frame rails to replace the original one in front of the axle on the driver's side (part of the improved weight transfer/balancing stuff). I had to modify my original pump module to fit the tank. I took a bunch of careful measurements and positioned the module so that the float arm would max out just a hair before hitting the top and bottom of the tank. I also positioned it so that hard accelerating, braking and cornering would have minimal effect on the gauge readings. All said and done, I've never had a more accurate and stable fuel gauge. "F" meant full and "E" meant empty. When testing it a few times, I consistently had 15-20 miles before it stalled after the light came on, depending on how I was driving it.

Last edited:

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean topping off. I meant the pump stopped and I noticed the gallons dispensed seemed a bit low, so I tried again and it stayed on for another few gallons. I've had this happen a few times over the years.

I don't really "top off". But I do run it to the next even dollar. Sorry, but my OCD won't let me leave it otherwise. I'll pull the nozzle out and spray the fuel on the ground if I have to.

OCD-4.jpg

Haha yeah if you don't get the even dollar you are a disorganized human

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol I don’t get the whole exact even dollar at the pump anymore. Especially when everyone pays with a card now. I understand it when we had nothing but paper money to pay with and didn’t want a pocket full of change but now everything you buy is not an exact dollar but oh dear lord when we get to that pump better it be exact! LOL!

D is for DENALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still live in a town where you park, grab the pump, hit the gas option , and wait for them inside to turn it on.. population 643, merica...love it

So i pay cash often, and it's always to the nearest .50... I never push the tank capacity, too many things to mess up for only 15 miles...

Granted, Springfield is only 20 miles away and it has 260,000...lol

Ive noticed I tend to carry more cash than others I hang put with, some actually have laughed at me when I laughed at them for not having 1 ******* dollar on them... millenials..pssshh. hahahahahaa

Then they'll retort with something like, " well how much cash do you have on you mister cash macgyver??"

"I have 2 100s and 2 50s in my lower sleeve tucked away,I and whatever cash I have in my regular wallet sleeves"..

"You have over $300 in cash on you right now?!?!"

"Yes, I figure 300 will get you out of any situation or make a deal when a cash purchase arises."

And they look at me like im the weird one...lolz

Last edited:

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One possible reason for the excess fuel is pump cooling.

However, it doesn't take 6 gallons to cool that little pump. That is how much I have in my tank when "empty". It is probably a combination of sloppy engineering and unknowns. Using the same pump module for multiple vehicles to save purchasing costs for GM maybe? I keep an eye on the trip odometer if I am down at E so it doesn't get too low.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still live in a town where you park, grab the pump, hit the gas option , and wait for them inside to turn it on.. population 643, merica...love it

So i pay cash often, and it's always to the nearest .50... I never push the tank capacity, too many things to mess up for only 15 miles...

Granted, Springfield is only 20 miles away and it has 260,000...lol

Ive noticed I tend to carry more cash than others I hang put with, some actually have laughed at me when I laughed at them for not having 1 ******* dollar on them... millenials..pssshh. hahahahahaa

Then they'll retort with something like, " well how much cash do you have on you mister cash macgyver??"

"I have 2 100s and 2 50s in my lower sleeve tucked away,I and whatever cash I have in my regular wallet sleeves"..

"You have over $300 in cash on you right now?!?!"

"Yes, I figure 300 will get you out of any situation or make a deal when a cash purchase arises."

And they look at me like im the weird one...lolz
I hide emergency backup money in my wallet too. Always have cash in my pocket, i feel strange without. Startedvwhen i was a kid, my father made me carry a key chain with a quarter hidden in it for an emergency phone call at a pay phone.... betcha nobidy knows what that is .... pay phones .... i miss them1E06C20B-DA04-483A-85E5-94AB58106E27.jpeg
Flip up monte and there is room for a quarter in the pocket behind there...lol

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OCD-4.jpg

Did this one day. Best feeling ever.
c13d2863f3fb412db3eb84c56f60ad2d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenan