How many of you got a PPV/SSV because of the extra "cool factor"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I love it. I paid $13,500 for a clean federal truck that only had 69k on the clock when I took delivery

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine for primarily the same reasons. My 03 Extended cab Silverado is still my favorite truck. My Dad took ownership of it so it’s still in the family and a mile from my driveway. It’s in need of the typical body work and it’s scheduled in late March for rockers and cab corners.

My 14 year old gargantuan son was the reason for an upgrade. My wife kept moving the passenger seat closer and closer to the dash! She got tired of the knees in the back on trips.
I started looking for a newer crew cab pickup but the prices for one that was 5-6 years older than my ‘14 Tahoe was just insane.

I can carry 3 adult kids in the back, gear inside and all of us be comfortable.

I have a list of things I want to do, I love to tinker, my son wants to help and it will more than likely be his in a year. Bonding with my kid is always a great time.

Robslost

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 2 wheel drive state trooper car. It will be my son's first car, I wasn't too thrilled about leaving the hood white with all the anti-cop foolishness that seems to be going around. Interior is plain jane, cloth front seats, vinyl 2nd row seats, vinyl floor, etc. Had a huge aluminum box in the back that looked like it held truck scales or something big, it scaled at 240 lbs. I tried to sell it on CL for a while, for $50, ended up getting $43 at the recycler. Didn't seem like it was really useful for much else.

Need to pick up a front center console, that's about it. Sucks not having anything to lean on. lol. I will try and get a pic or two.
Have a box in mine but I do use it. Did it look like this?
IMG_20191026_144441.jpg

mainecrab

Reaction score
I would buy one just for the already lowered aspect, but I assume that is on the 2WD models only. Maybe I will come upon another Tahoe later in life that will suit my needs at that point. Do like the clean sides though without the moulding that can rust out.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought mine because it was bare bones (less shit to break) and all of the heavy duty / upgraded systems.

+1! Dependable, handles well, and does what we need it to do. And we don't have to worry about a butt warmer, or some other doodad failing and putting the entire truck into limp mode.

It's my wife's DD. She's in the medical industry and is on call 50% of the time. She HAS to have dependable transportation. We needed dependable, A/C, power steering, automatic, and sometimes a radio. After that, everything else is extra and much of the modern crap is unnecessary.

This truck has fit that requirement 100%. It does help that it looks like a cop car, as people move out of her way, but not a requirement.

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose one because of the Blues Brothers or was it Copperhead Road, maybe it was Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry, Vanishing Point or Mad Max, all I know is being a motorhead the allure of a police pursuit vehicle and it's performance upgrades just rang out to me.
I'm a Chevy man that's been behind the wheel of my 02 Silverado since new, like the original poster I too live in the rust belt (Buffalo,NY) and although my truck has relatively low miles at 160k and has only had 2 check engine lights (evap codes) ever, it's rusting from the bottom up and starting to loose the battle. I wanted more of the same but refused to buy a new vehicle that depreciates so badly, so looking at used I decided to feed that underlying craving for that cop tires, cop brakes and cop motor.
The Tahoe PPV was a natural choice, truck like, can haul stuff, can tow stuff, little more classy than a pickup that handles better, stops better and goes faster, which is a win win win in my book !

jatPPV2012

Reaction score
Got mine for a few reasons. I wanted a SUV I could get for a bargain (Auction purchase $6052 total with tax, title, reg), its uniqueness as a retired PPV (A la The Blue Brothers), liked the style of the 2007-12 Tahoes, and of course for the coolness.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Govdeals is my crack. I was in the market for an extended cab pick up but with three growing kids and a dog I needed something a bit easier to park. So I came across an SSV in a govdeals auction and nailed it. I paid cash so no car payment and I got about 40k miles on it before I had a crate motor and Trans put in it. Runs like a top and there were already holes for my ham antennas which was the best part about it. It also tows my military trailer effortlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24