How many of you got a PPV/SSV because of the extra "cool factor"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxxarcade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone else got their truck at least partly because of the history? Here's my long winded backstory on how I ended up with mine.

Prior to getting my Tahoe, I was driving a 1993 C1500 Silverado with a 4.3L V6 and 2WD. I kept it for 15 years and had no plans of changing vehicles because it was so reliable and easy to repair. But being in Michigan, it rusted out so bad that even the axle housing had holes that leaked fluid. The transmission cooler lines failed and drained the transmission, and I had it rebuilt at 210k miles. The engine still ran like a top and it handled great, but there was hardly anything left of it.

This past Summer I had been seeing a black SUV for sale, and on a whim I decided to call about it. When I found that it was a 2011 Tahoe previously used by one of the local police departments, I did a bit of reading and learned about PPV's. I was kinda bummed to learn that they didn't have 4 wheel drive, since that was one of the things I really wanted if I ever were to replace my old truck.

But after I went to test drive it, I learned that it was actually an SSV with 4 wheel drive. It ticked all the boxes for what I wanted. Full size truck with 4WD and a V8. Space in the back to haul stuff and not have it get wet if it rains. Rubber floor mat that's easy to keep clean and still looks good. Running boards that make it easier for me to get in and out. Power mirrors and some other conveniences, but not too many extra gadgets to break like the higher end models would have. Plus it just looks cool :)

Shortly after buying it, I actually met up with the Chief and the Detective from the department that used to drive it, and they signed the dash for me. They said it was one of their favorite trucks to drive, and so far I really like it too. IMO it's neat to have something that's not an everyday "consumer" type of vehicle, and that also has a bit of an exciting history behind it.

Things weren't all perfect though. I'll make a separate post soon about my adventure with the repairs I've done so far.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine because my extended cab Sierra didn’t have enough room for a car seat and the price is right on ssv’s compared to civvy models. I do love the subtle differences exterior wise like no roof rack and steelies. I’ve added a few conveniences since buying because it’s now my wife’s vehicle.

GCATX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
198k miles, but it's straight, runs and drives great. Only thing I've "HAD" to get for it so far is a brake light switch so the cruise control would work. Oh, and some flat black paint for the white hood. Wheels and tires came off wife's escalade.

IMG_4491.JPG IMG_4492.JPG

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board, nice find you got yourself there. At times I wish I picked up a 4x4 SSV as well, but overall I am extremely happy with my choice. I picked mine up because I liked the look, and really liked the price. :)

I'm surprised they didn't just wrap the hood white on yours, surely would have been cheaper. Each one of these trucks is unique in its own way though, really. Any interior shots?

GCATX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's a 2 wheel drive state trooper car. It will be my son's first car, I wasn't too thrilled about leaving the hood white with all the anti-cop foolishness that seems to be going around. Interior is plain jane, cloth front seats, vinyl 2nd row seats, vinyl floor, etc. Had a huge aluminum box in the back that looked like it held truck scales or something big, it scaled at 240 lbs. I tried to sell it on CL for a while, for $50, ended up getting $43 at the recycler. Didn't seem like it was really useful for much else.

Need to pick up a front center console, that's about it. Sucks not having anything to lean on. lol. I will try and get a pic or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24