How long to replace front suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doubletap1911

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Z71 Tahoe with 273k on the odometer. When I went in for my bi-annual inspection the mechanic said my front suspension was f*****. I asked what he meant and he started pulling on wheels and showed me slop all over the place. He said the minimum he would need to replace to make it safe/legal again would be replacing the upper control arms, the left lower control arm and the pitman arm.

I took the hoe to another mechanic shop (Big O Tire) and asked for another inspection to see if they said the same thing. Big O said the pitman arm, the upper ball joints and the left lower control arm. At least there is a little consistency...I guess I had just grown used to the hoe's wandering and learned to compensate for it while driving.

At the time I could not afford to have it fixed, but I have now saved up decided to refresh the whole front suspension. I purchased the following:
Upper control arms
Lower control arms
Tie rod ends
Idler arm
Pitman arm
Front shocks (and rear shocks too)

Now I have a school bus mechanic that works with my father (a school bus driver) willing to do the work on weekends at the school's bus barn. He asks that I offer what should be a fair rate and wants to know how many shop hours we are looking at. Can you guys help me come up with fair numbers?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree. With most shops charging upwards of $100 or more for labor an hour, it is at least a 5-6 hour job, plus alignment. I would also do the sway bar frame bushings and link kits.

After all that you will have to learn how to drive it again because, as long as the tires are in good shape, that rig should Cadillac right on down the road.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also depends on the shop thier mechanics skill level and overall condition of the undercarriage. most shops ive dealt with will charge me for the typical suggested time it would take to do a specific job. if everything fights them and it takes longer within reason i still get charged the same rate. you can't expect that from all or even most shops id imagine. i internationally find trustworthy shops that will do this and i make sure when i drop it off they can take thier time. ill even soak everything i know they are going to work on with pb blaster prior to dropping it off just to make it a little easier for them.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I lived in the rust belt, KC, Mo., and ran shops I had to deal with explanations to the customer that the book time is a guide and not a complete promise. I would tell them that if the tech beats the book time the charge is still the same because the tech has tons of money invested in tools and training to be able to do a quality job. If the tech went over by 1 hour or less, no additional fees but if went over more and was because of faulty previous workmanship or the rust problem, then I would contact them about extra charges. I would negotiate the additional fees to where we both came away from it ok. Sometimes a reduced labor rate was involved. I always warned the customer when they dropped off the car about all this. Only one time did a customer accuse me of lying about the fees. I talked with the shop owner and we charged for all parts as expected but only charged the customer 1/2 price on the labor. We both also told him that to never bring any of his vehicles back to the shop for any work. He did not know what to say about that. He tried to apologize and appeal to us that what we did was fair to him but I reminded him that I gave warnings when the vehicle was dropped off and he agreed. Myself and the owner were of the opinion that the customer is not always right. Being an ******* never got any of them any points with me.

By the way, even at 67 years old and having no lift I could at least match the shop time of close to 5 hours or beat it. "Katy bar the door and get out of my way" when I start using impacts and ripping things apart. It is sooooooo much fun.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be a 5-6 hour job minus alignment if it's rust free........if you have rust....plan for at least 10 hours.

The last truck I did it was 7.4 hours book time for UCAs, LCAs and endlinks. So 7.4 x $125 shop rate.......

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really good info that you've received from knowledgeable folks here.

Now that you have a reasonable idea regarding how much labor time that this job typically requires, I suggest that you ask your offered mechanics what they would like to receive as an hourly rate for their own personal labor services. This allows them to establish and commit to an hourly labor rate that they believe is fair and equitable for their time worked.

With that information, then apply the time required to complete the job estimate given by folks here to the hourly rate that your offered mechanics have suggested, and that should give you an opening position to suggest a total cost for the job that you are willing to commit for the job.

After that, it becomes a negotiation discussion, and you have both the flexibility to adjust and final word.

Good luck!

OP
OP
D

doubletap1911

Reaction score
That's really good info that you've received from knowledgeable folks here.

Now that you have a reasonable idea regarding how much labor time that this job typically requires, I suggest that you ask your offered mechanics what they would like to receive as an hourly rate for their own personal labor services. This allows them to establish and commit to an hourly labor rate that they believe is fair and equitable for their time worked.

With that information, then apply the time required to complete the job estimate given by folks here to the hourly rate that your offered mechanics have suggested, and that should give you an opening position to suggest a total cost for the job that you are willing to commit for the job.

After that, it becomes a negotiation discussion, and you have both the flexibility to adjust and final word.

Good luck!

Agreed! This is why I came here to ask. I'm going to be paying him what the school pays (by his request). He wanted to know how much time the average shop spends on the project. Thanks everybody!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep