How happy are you with your 2021/22 Tahoe/Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will1279

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Dinali XL and supremely disappointed with it it’s left me and my family stranded twice I guess you can’t use the remote start feature that comes with it that we all pay a lot of money for in the vehicle only has 1000 miles on it

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel these vehicles are becoming too large. My 2012 is just right and I feel this size might provide even better fuel economy today. For parking lots it's just right even without cameras on every corner.

Ragogli

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm extremely disappointed with my 2022 Tahoe Z71.
Just turn 1000 miles, three weeks old, made my first payment, and I notice staining on my driveway.
Long story short, there is a fracture in the engine block above the oil filter.
Chevy is replacing the engine, warranted of course, but I'll be without my Tahoe for 3 weeks. I'm concerned about the integrity of the vehicle after the engine swap. No one has ever seen this before in the new 5.3 engine.
Just bad luck I guess.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love, love, love my '21 Yukon Denali XL with the Duramax 3.0. My and my family of four just completed a 2,000 mile road trip from Colorado through Albuquerque, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Sedona, Grand Canyon and Durango/Purgatory. My opinion would probably differ if I had the v8. Fully loaded with a 21 cubic foot Thule cargo box on top I got 24 mpg at 80-85 mph on average. This thing just eats miles comfortably and economically. The '21 rear seat entertainment is amazing - sorry to those who don't have it or have the 22 model. I have no idea why they would overhaul a year old system. The 21 is great. CarPlay, Alexa - it all just works fabulously. I have multiple USB sticks with movies on it for the kids. They can each watch something different from each seat. I also have a Roku with a voice remote to watch live tv. I was able to watch the Tennessee Vols tourney game live on the big screen while my wife drove a bit. Of course, you need the car wifi to work seamlessly, but it was also nice to have my work hotspot when Verizon had better coverage than AT&T which is what the car is on. I've recently upgraded the rubber to Toyo open country AT3s and this is a great upgrade in the snow. I love the cameras everywhere, and the rear view camera is fantastic. My only gripes are minor - the cost, obviously - this thing was 40x the cost of my first car. The plastic in the back scratches easily. All weather mats were a ***** to get to stay in place on the 3rd row seats. The running boards get dirty when it is snowy outside. I'm scratching my head on any other annoyances. It is a fabulous vehicle that turns heads everywhere. The Dark Sky Metallic paint looks fabulous as well. 18k on the clock and not a single issue other than an occasional smell - either from regen or the cabin air filter.
Thanks for your detailed review. Very helpful. One question... wouldn't it work with just a cell phone hotspot instead of using the car wifi? So what about creating a mobile hotspot with your smartphone and connecting the RSE with that wifi hotspot instead of using the car wifi where you have to pay extra for?

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'22 Tahoe LT here with 1K miles

Love the space, ride, interior/exterior. Very happy with our decision to upsize from a Volvo XC90 for the 'family car/truck'.

Hate the gas mileage LOL... but it's a heavy truck with a 5.3L V8
What's your mileage?

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Dinali XL and supremely disappointed with it it’s left me and my family stranded twice I guess you can’t use the remote start feature that comes with it that we all pay a lot of money for in the vehicle only has 1000 miles on it
Sorry to hear that. What's the engine here?

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I think the actual market price of these vehicles in the next 1-3 years will decrease because of the introduction of new competitors in the segment, increase in interest rates, and likelihood of a recession. Yes, the MSRP of these vehicles will likely increase, but once production/supply returns back to pre COVID times and the economy deteriorates, we will be back to the days of substantial discounts off MSRP.

Manufacturers are still incentivized to maintain some volume because there can be substantial revenue from parts sales 3+ years down the road.
I don't think so. I never followed the Full Size SUV market for very long, but I am in the camp that a poor economy and higher interest rates aren't going to stop people from spending $60-$70k-$80k+ on a car because generally money isn't much of a concern to someone buying a car that expensive. Financing at low rates is nice, but if a 2% interest rate tells me I should buy but a 5% interest rate say no I can't afford it, then you shouldn't be looking to spend that much plain and simple in the first place. And sure when there may be a "recession" is that impacting your income? Not in my line of business.

And if dealers are having a hard time selling cars because of bad economic times, production will decrease to go back in line with demand.

Where I live, people are buying Tahoes and Yukons for over $10k MSRP. I was quoted over $15k for one, and that was the only one in stock. And that car eventually sold. I can't even find a dealer that has a 2021 or 2022 in stock to test drive. Most dealers have none to even show you in person. If we have a recession tomorrow and interest rates spike, I don't think they'll only be buyers who are settling for only under MSRP.

DenaliDrew

Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed review. Very helpful. One question... wouldn't it work with just a cell phone hotspot instead of using the car wifi? So what about creating a mobile hotspot with your smartphone and connecting the RSE with that wifi hotspot instead of using the car wifi where you have to pay extra for?
Hi xycrazy, yes, that will work to a degree, but I prefer it as a backup rather than primary. I'm lucky that my work pays for a cell phone for me, and it comes with a hotspot. I tried just as you are suggesting. But the network was always defaulting to the car's wifi network (which I suppose is required for the wireless CarPlay). This means the kids were having to open the settings in the roku every time, then swapping networks - they basically didn't even watch it the first few months it was such a PITA. So pony up the $20 a month (I just added it my my already exorbitant AT&T bill) and it is a MUCH more seamless experience. The built-in data plan also unlocks other apps and Alexa too. It made a great car damn near perfect in my mind.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi xycrazy, yes, that will work to a degree, but I prefer it as a backup rather than primary. I'm lucky that my work pays for a cell phone for me, and it comes with a hotspot. I tried just as you are suggesting. But the network was always defaulting to the car's wifi network (which I suppose is required for the wireless CarPlay). This means the kids were having to open the settings in the roku every time, then swapping networks - they basically didn't even watch it the first few months it was such a PITA. So pony up the $20 a month (I just added it my my already exorbitant AT&T bill) and it is a MUCH more seamless experience. The built-in data plan also unlocks other apps and Alexa too. It made a great car damn near perfect in my mind.
I see. It's just ridiculous in my opinion to charge another $20 for something that I already have. I don't like to get charged for the in build navigation system either after 3 years. A car for 70K+ doesn't come with a lifetime free navigation system... again... absolutely ridiculous. Apart from that I like the car though and so I just suck it up eventually.

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel these vehicles are becoming too large. My 2012 is just right and I feel this size might provide even better fuel economy today. For parking lots it's just right even without cameras on every corner.
Agree. My 2001 is a great length (and height) for my purposes. I also like the view over the hood. The current Explorers are the same length as that model Yukon. I think it was a mistake adding almost a foot to the standard Yukon/Tahoe to give the third row more room. I always figured that people moving larger humans and/or more gear would just get the Suburban. I can only dream how a smaller Yukon with the Duramax would perform (if it would fit!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz