How Does This Thing Come Apart???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had picked out an OTC spring compressor and then later, in the interest of economy, chose one of those two piece jobs that go on either side the coils. Several of the reviewers said that they used them on our 900s so I bought it.

Well, they must have meant a hot wheel or matchbox car because I had to grind away at the little safeties to get them to go over the coils. That was two hours and a couple of dremel bits.

So now I put the tool on the strut and begin hand tightening with a ratched, 10 1/2 turns on each side and then 5. No tension has come off the strut mount. So I put the impact on the spring compressors and slowly tighten it some more, just a few turns at a time. Finally, there is some space opening up but no real slack yet.

Thinking I'm there, I put the socket on the top nut and try to loosen it. First with the ratchet, no joy. Then with the impact and it just spins freely but does not come off. I appears that the nut is still stuck on the shaft and the impact gun is spinning the nut and shaft. Make sense? So what do I do now? Tighten the coils some more? Man those springs are like coiled bombs and I have a healthy fear of them.

The strut mount is the only part that will be re-used, saved a $150 that way, or maybe I didn't!

Your advice is much appreciated!

ff6b6ae514d3e53dde61f8da587c240a.png
71Ja5wErYUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re trying to get the nut off the end of the shock itself?

I did mine recently and didn’t have an impact wrench at the time. The rod definitely spun for me. I ended up having to wrap it with a strip of 60 grit, and clamp down tight with vice grips. I was able to hold it enough to get it loose.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I borrowed spring compressors like that from two different parts stores. One pair was bending a lot long before I had any real pressure off the mount. I ended up with another pair and cycled between FOUR of those to do the job. What a cramped pain that was. I hope your threaded rods aren't stretching.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re trying to get the nut off the end of the shock itself?

I did mine recently and didn’t have an impact wrench at the time. The rod definitely spun for me. I ended up having to wrap it with a strip of 60 grit, and clamp down tight with vice grips. I was able to hold it enough to get it loose.

Ahh, that should work, thanks! Will try tomorrow so the impact gun doesn't wake up the neighbors!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I borrowed spring compressors like that from two different parts stores. One pair was bending a lot long before I had any real pressure off the mount. I ended up with another pair and cycled between FOUR of those to do the job. What a cramped pain that was. I hope your threaded rods aren't stretching.

It's an OEM Tools brand, no stretching, yet.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put the vise grip on the shaft and the nut came right off, thanks! I think for the new shock and nut, I shall put some rubber around the teeth of the vise grips.
I didn't have to do that. I was able to hold the end of the shaft and use an open end wrench to run the nut down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14