how does gm's passive entry work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's 2021 denali xl just arrived, when you have a fob in hand and approach the vehicle and operate a door handle it doesn't unlock the drivers (or any) door. You can press the button on the door handle and it will unlock the doors.

Does the denali's have the ability to unlock the door when the user has a fob in hand and either operates the handle or touches the handle (like Ram / BMW / Merc / etc). Or isn't this possible?

Already did some searching, Passive Entry doesn't appear to operate without pressing a button, didn't find anything via owners manual or asking the sales person. Any help much appreciated, thx.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s how it works for me on the 2021 Tahoe. I think that is what they mean by passive (that you don’t have to press a button on the key fob itself).

if there’s another way to use it I’d be curious.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another crazy thing I discovered too is you can’t use any voice commands to control the climate control or anything. Only phone and nav functions….
other vehicles I’ve had the voice command could do anything the head unit could do….

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same for me, have to press door handle button to unlock. My last ride all I had to do was grab the handle and it unlocked. No pressing buttons.

waynehead99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It took some getting used to initially with the button coming from my MDX and our Merc has it where you can just grab it. Not a big deal to me and the added benefit is that the handles can get wet while I am washing the car and it doesn't keep locking/unlocking forcing me to leave the keys in the truck.

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took some getting used to initially with the button coming from my MDX and our Merc has it where you can just grab it. Not a big deal to me and the added benefit is that the handles can get wet while I am washing the car and it doesn't keep locking/unlocking forcing me to leave the keys in the truck.

That's interesting about the lock / unlocking when washing, I haven't experienced that yet.

I am pretty surprised GM doesn't have this capability in 2021; but then again I've had 10 years to get used to it.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a feature i miss. Personally, I don't want my vehicles ready to unlock on approach. Mine is set to unlock only when I want it to. And yes, washed the wife's Pacifica this morning. Locks cycled maybe a dozen times.

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having come from BMW world, its a huge miss for me.
In BMW world you can configure it off as well for those who would prefer to press the button explicitly.

KeithinTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2019 Tahoe LT will only unlock the doors about 40% of the time. New fob battery didn’t improve it.
And it never works if you have anything else in your pocket with the remote.
Such a simple GM feature to be so lame.
I’m starting to spew profanities at Chevrolet every time I try to unlock the doors

WestCoastYokel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FWIW I also prefer the physical button on the Yukon over the passive version like our other car, but I agree an option would be reasonable.

Speaking of options, took me a bit to figure out there's a setting you change change to have the button unlock *all* the doors from the driver side instead of just the driver door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212