How do you adjust 2001 Yukon parking brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGB1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I’m new to the forum and need help. My parking brake pedal is going to the floor and isn’t holding the vehicle when in “Drive”. They need to be able to do that to pass inspection here in NC. I saw on some other links that there was a brake pedal “auto-adjustment override” technique to tighten the parking brake cable for Silverado and Sierra trucks. The description also said this would apply to my 2001 Yukon. I’ve looked but my pedal is different and I see no way to increase the parking brake hold without pulling the rear drum/rotors to access the parking brake shoe adjustment wheel.

I’ve already used all the adjustment available on the equalizer bar and adjusted the parking brake shoes until the drum/rotor dragged on them then backed them off slightly.

Does anyone know of a way the increase the pull on the parking brake cable (and thus improving the holding power of the parking brakes) by making an adjustment at the pedal?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take back brakes off, behind the rear rotors is a set of brake shoes like old style drum shoes. they have a star wheel you can adjust. or its possible the e brakes have just fallen apart on ya and need to be replaced.

OP
OP
R

RGB1978

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update on parking brake issue - After taking brakes back off, verifying everything was installed correctly, adjusting until parking brake shoes barely rubbed the drum and reassembling, I still had no parking brakes.

I took to a local mechanic that I trust to do my work. He verified I had done everything correctly but in the process determined that my main brake cable had stretched 2”, thus, I was not getting much engagement when pushing the parking brake pedal to the floor. Also, after 18 years of use, I had worn the inside of the drum-in-hat rotor and they were worn beyond the allowable tolerance. Trust me, this tolerance is minuscule due to the design of the expanding brake shoe system. So he replaced the drum-in-hat rotors but still had no parking brakes. After doing more digging he determined that the “exact fit for your 2001 Yukon” Wearever parking brake shoes from Advance Auto would not expand large enough to engage with the drum. He replaced these with AC Delco shoes and problem solved. A photo showing the difference in brake shoe material coverage between the two brands is shown. Material shortage was on both sides of shoe so in total about 2” less brake pad material. Like I said, tolerances are really tight for this design. It doesn’t take much wear for them to not work. Advance willingly refunded my money when I showed them the photo and my $380 bill. Lesson learned on after-market parts.

Also, have since learned that these parts are no longer listed as “exact fit”........

IMG_0461.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645