how do these struts look

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ordered these struts and this is the condition they came in.

the seller's response... Hi, it is new. That is box fibers and the box polished the paint off of the shock. All from shelf / transit wear. It is new and ready to serve you.

The spring seat is loose and slides up and down the strut. Do you think it's worth it to go ahead with the install or just do a return/exchange?

The struts took nearly 2 weeks to get to my house with FedEx. i would have to pay return shippings-l1600t.jpgs-l1600s.jpgs-l1600g.jpgs-l1600f.jpgs-l1600b.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does NOT look new to me. I purchased the same almost 2 years ago in the same packaging, and they had no rub marks going through the paint. That paint is tougher that the packaging , to be worn like that. Also at the top of the shock, there are foreign particles in the threads that have nothing to do with the packaging fibers.

Return them for an exchange.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ordered these struts and this is the condition they came in.

the seller's response... Hi, it is new. That is box fibers and the box polished the paint off of the shock. All from shelf / transit wear. It is new and ready to serve you.

The spring seat is loose and slides up and down the strut. Do you think it's worth it to go ahead with the install or just do a return/exchange?

The struts took nearly 2 weeks to get to my house with FedEx. i would have to pay return shippingView attachment 392526View attachment 392527View attachment 392528View attachment 392529View attachment 392530

I'm with Wes @Doubeleive. To me, it looks just as the seller describes. Cardboard fibers and worn paint from lots of shelf and shipping time. I believe I see black paint rubs on the cardboard. How do the threads in the clip nuts look? Any rub marks on the bottom of the cross bar? The spring perch isn't solidly secured in place- it just rests on a ring. So, it sliding up and rubbing the paint off over the duration of transit is justified. You can shoot a blast of black spray paint on it and it'll look like new. You won't notice it when assembled and installed. They'll look worse than they currently do within a week or two of driving in NYC.

The ONLY thing I'm questioning are the threads on the rod end. They look to have something- antisieze? I've read that, if these are electronic struts (AutoRide), that rod can't be spun or it'll damage the strut. If this is true and these were installed or an attempted installation or assembling where that rod was spun, they could have internal damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't feel like they were previously installed but just a little disappointed in the condition.

i paid $500 from a seller on ebay, rating is 99.5%

nuts on the bottom look clean

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the seller guarantee a better set if return for another set from them? Or would you return and get from another seller? What is the seller's ratings on ebay? Did you read and know that a return means you pay shipping?
im going to return them. they agreed to pay for return shipping. rating is 99.5%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz