How do I test drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVAHokie

Reaction score
Been lurking for a few months as I wait for 23' s to open so I can place an order. I know I am ultimately going to get a Yukon or Denali but no dealers have any in stock. While I am fine spending the money on the vehicle it seems a little crazy to me to order a 70-80k car without seeing one or test driving it. I even looked at renting a car from Enterprise/Hertz for a day to see one but they don't even have any. I'm not in a small market either as we have multiple dealers in town (Richmond, VA).

Wondering how others handled this or if they just ordered blindly.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got lucky, I saw a few Yukons at my normal dealer's website so I took a chance and drove over there since I had to go to that town anyway. I get there and talk to the salesman and they had none available, everything was presold but I was told I can look/sit in a Denali that just got prepped but couldnt drive it since it was sold. This was OK with me but then the sales manager overhears and says they have a Denali in stock that was ordered by a customer who cancelled it after it arrived. So it was in limbo and I was able to just hop in and take it for a 15-20min drive. It had no options (besides just being a Denali) and was the wrong color but it was enough for me to get an idea of how the interior looked and felt.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been lurking for a few months as I wait for 23' s to open so I can place an order. I know I am ultimately going to get a Yukon or Denali but no dealers have any in stock. While I am fine spending the money on the vehicle it seems a little crazy to me to order a 70-80k car without seeing one or test driving it. I even looked at renting a car from Enterprise/Hertz for a day to see one but they don't even have any. I'm not in a small market either as we have multiple dealers in town (Richmond, VA).

I found a used High Country Suburban and drove that (almost bought it, until the guy wanted what amounted to $5k more than the sticker price with 13k miles on it). It was also missing the Air Ride suspension, so that was a deal breaker for me.

I know the dealers up in Minneapolis have a demo, so at least people can drive something close.
Else, find a buddy that has one and get them to let you drive it.

Aside from my 10min test drive in the HC, I ordered blind (had never seen the interior color I picked in person -- Light Shale/Teak).

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A local dealer happened to have an SLT in stock that was traded in. Then began the hunt for a diesel on the lot, and now a pending order for one spec'd the way we wanted.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably a used 21 trade in floating around somewhere, it won't ride or drive any different than a 22 or 23, the only difference may be the info screen has been updated, seat arrangement and everything will be the same

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think this is why, despite manufacturers want to keep inventory lower, they will have to have some inventory on showroom floors because there are buyers that would prefer to buy a vehicle they have test driven than a vehicle they have not.

Reddevil96

Reaction score
rental car. we rented a 21 Yukon XL SLT from enterprise. liked it so much, we bought a 21 Yukon XL Denali 8 months later, found 1 on a lot and over paid unfortunately.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought blindly. Seen a few driving around and watched many youtube videos but never touched one in person before the day we picked it up. Could not be happier with the vehicle.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a '19 Yukon XL and liked it, and thought "it's new so it's gotta be better" and bought a '21 XL without needing to test drive one.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading a test article on Motor Trend for the top full size SUVs and they had to rent a Cad. Esky. for the test as GM couldn't produce one for them. A five or six page article on $100k machines and no vehicle provided. They did comment on the Caddy's not so good ride quality even with the top suspension. Times are absurd and I'm like you, wouldn't buy anything without a test drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman