How do I disable auto a/c defrost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I don't necessarily want my a/c trying to dry out the air for defrost. My last car was a subaru and it had this little actuation lever I could remove inside the HVAC controls. Mechanical control, easy easy.

I have auto climate control in my rig now. Not really that simple. I'm loathe to snip wires and try to install a manual switch. Having switches to control my a/c just feels janky as hell.

So... I mean... Is there something I can program? Flash? Solder? What I want, is for the a/c compressor to stay off, independent of anything else, until press the button to flip it on

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I don't necessarily want my a/c trying to dry out the air for defrost. My last car was a subaru and it had this little actuation lever I could remove inside the HVAC controls. Mechanical control, easy easy.

I have auto climate control in my rig now. Not really that simple. I'm loathe to snip wires and try to install a manual switch. Having switches to control my a/c just feels janky as hell.

So... I mean... Is there something I can program? Flash? Solder? What I want, is for the a/c compressor to stay off, independent of anything else, until press the button to flip it on
Back in the simpler days of GM, I would just unplug the ac compressor in the winter, for this exact ssme issue. I never understood why GM did that, until someone told me it takes the humidity out of the air.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think... If you mode select to defrost and floor, it will light up the A/C button. Just press it and it turns the A/C off but it'll still blow on the windshield and floor. I'm not 100% sure about this, but it's worth a try, haha. My 09 Tahoe has auto climate, I'm gonna try it in the morning.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think... If you mode select to defrost and floor, it will light up the A/C button. Just press it and it turns the A/C off but it'll still blow on the windshield and floor. I'm not 100% sure about this, but it's worth a try, haha. My 09 Tahoe has auto climate, I'm gonna try it in the morning.
Correct, when you press defrost it defaults to the AC compressor being on, you have to manually toggle it back off. The OP is asking if there is a way to "tune out" the auto-on feature so he doesn't have to manually toggle it back off.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does this mean when you manually turn off the AC it's not actually off? I've always suspected that because even in the hottest months in the summer I almost never have to hit the snowflake to turn it on. It gets plenty cool without it.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Verified it works. That's a neat trick!

Wonder what other hidden gems these vehicles have

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have heard that the A/C compressor cycles from time to time to keep the seals intact.

If you won't use it all winter, removing the A/C drive belt might be something to consider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts