How can you afford the cost of a new SUV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I've discovered, retirement isn't a number and it isn't an age, it's a state of mind.
15 years ago I was all about a number. Well that number has came and gone a couple times, now what?

Buddies of mine have retired early (40's), their lives are a mess and they are lost (highly driven people without direction cause chaos for themselves). Other friends of mine have found something to dive into and it works for them.

For me, the dollar problem is long solved, now it's a matter of figuring out what I'm going todo with my time.
I like this! I used to focus on a number, now I focus on what my passion/interest will be when I am done with my current Gov job. I need to have something driving me and the general thought of retirement with nothing to do gave me anxiety!

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would argue that it is best to enjoy every day. Do not wait until you retire to enjoy life. This does not mean that you don't save for retirement, but enjoy every day. Most folks will have less energy and be far more limited mobility wise when they are in mid 60's or older. At 53 I dont have the energy that I did at 45.. and my knees won't let me play as much tennis, or climb mountain or hike in to some remote places that I used to. But I have done thiose things when I was a bit younger.. So I do my best to squeeze all I can out of every day and year. Really no regrets right now.

mrrairai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a great reply. It paints a good picture of how frugality can pay-off in the long run. The act of writing $80k checks to keep up with the Jones's will keep a person hooked to the work cart FOREVER.
Why do so many people assume that folks buying these expensive SUVs is trying to keep up with the Joneses?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would argue that it is best to enjoy every day. Do not wait until you retire to enjoy life. This does not mean that you don't save for retirement, but enjoy every day. Most folks will have less energy and be far more limited mobility wise when they are in mid 60's or older. At 53 I dont have the energy that I did at 45.. and my knees won't let me play as much tennis, or climb mountain or hike in to some remote places that I used to. But I have done thiose things when I was a bit younger.. So I do my best to squeeze all I can out of every day and year. Really no regrets right now.
This speaks to me. I spent my 20's, 30's and 40's traveling all over the world for work and spending like a drunken sailor on everything from expensive new cars to owning an airplane. Because of that, I'm playing a bit of catchup on my savings. Which is why I look back at some of the spending decisions I made with a critical eye. I don't regret a single cent I spent on experiences, but I do regret money I spent on expensive new vehicles when a used one would have still been more than adequate for my needs and overall experience.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do so many people assume that folks buying these expensive SUVs is trying to keep up with the Joneses?
Because that is AMERICAN culture to a T. If you need the latest clothes, shoes, TV subscriptions, computer, gaming console, etc because your friends or neighbors have it (directly or indirectly) you fall into that scenario. Basically.......if you can't live without feeling like less than others and buy stuff to impress yourself, or others, you fit the bill.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because that is AMERICAN culture to a T. If you need the latest clothes, shoes, TV subscriptions, computer, gaming console, etc because your friends or neighbors have it (directly or indirectly) you fall into that scenario. Basically.......if you can't live without feeling like less than others and buy stuff to impress yourself, or others, you fit the bill.
Definitely not me. I could care less about the "Jonses" scenario. The only peer pressure I can't stand up to is the techy stuff in here with these damn trucks lol. Think I need to break free from this place LOL.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely "assuming if you make more you will spend more"
I'm assuming everyone is attempting to sustain an income proportionally similar (working to retirement).

Some folks might be in the camp where they are going to retire on 1/10th of their normal income, I haven't met any yet.
Don't know any at 10%, but I am quite comfortable at around 40%. And I didn't make that much to begin with!

mrrairai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This speaks to me. I spent my 20's, 30's and 40's traveling all over the world for work and spending like a drunken sailor on everything from expensive new cars to owning an airplane. Because of that, I'm playing a bit of catchup on my savings. Which is why I look back at some of the spending decisions I made with a critical eye. I don't regret a single cent I spent on experiences, but I do regret money I spent on expensive new vehicles when a used one would have still been more than adequate for my needs and overall experience.
Hey I was a drunken Sailor!!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz