"Solved" Hot wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a good heavy fuse positive wire at the hitch. Going to run a relay off the reverse lights and install bright back up lights. Dont want to drag a hot wire from the front to the back to do it. Will the door lock button at the hatch do it?

This is for a 1999 GMC Yukon. Thanks much for any info.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a good heavy fuse positive wire at the hitch. Going to run a relay off the reverse lights and install bright back up lights. Dont want to drag a hot wire from the front to the back to do it. Will the door lock button at the hatch do it?

Run a new wire (have it fused close to the battery as possible.) never try and tap power from other locations... most likely will fry something if you try it..

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run a new wire (have it fused close to the battery as possible.) never try and tap power from other locations... most likely will fry something if you try it..

have to agree with this, unless your running some led type that are lower power draw and basically eliminate the oem lights so the overall power draw is close to stock so your not overloading the system. otherwise a separate power wire is the way to go, but by all means tap the stock lights to trigger the relay to turn them on .

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Fairly often there is a large 12 volt auxiliary wire running to a 7 pin trailering connector. Have you looked into this possiblity?

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the all the answers and I agree. Regarding the 7 pin connector. I took all the tow wires in the back and one by one tested them to see if there is a live wire when the car is running and there is nothing. I am working on my 1999 GMC Yukon. I also have a 2003 Tahoe and this vehicle has the 7 pin and all you have to do is add a fuse in the box and the hot wire lights up in at the connector in the back.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJ Baker, what color would this auxiliary wire be?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many times GM left the 2 wires unconnected at the front near the brake booster. I can't swear if a 99 is the same but on my 98 and 97 the wires for the trailer brakes and the auxilary power were looped and taped near the booster. There are studs at the fuse/relay box on the left fenderwell to tap fused 12v that can handle the amperage.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many times GM left the 2 wires unconnected at the front near the brake booster. I can't swear if a 99 is the same but on my 98 and 97 the wires for the trailer brakes and the auxilary power were looped and taped near the booster. There are studs at the fuse/relay box on the left fenderwell to tap fused 12v that can handle the amperage.

OK I will take a look. Thank you that is inline with info I found on the web but more clear!

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if factory wire is not there, this vintage pretty easy to add the wire. Good luck and report your progress.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the all the answers and I agree. Regarding the 7 pin connector. I took all the tow wires in the back and one by one tested them to see if there is a live wire when the car is running and there is nothing. I am working on my 1999 GMC Yukon. I also have a 2003 Tahoe and this vehicle has the 7 pin and all you have to do is add a fuse in the box and the hot wire lights up in at the connector in the back.
under the hood it's disconnected at the factory

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2