"Hot" Side Unboxing - Twin Turbo Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danyi2170

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HP Tuners has a form on their website. Basically you select your trans and enter your VIN and I assume they send a new unlocked TCM unit. In my case HP Tuners reached out gave instructions for sending my unit to them. They worked whatever unlock magic that they do and sent it back. Turn-around time for me was about two weeks. The cost was $400. I'm not sure of the exact reason my TCM had to be shipped but there were several atypical issues that needed to be dealt with along the way so I just lumped it in with the rest of the unfortunate incidents. I was on travel for work when the tune/TCM tune took place so I can't really speak to what took place during the actual dyno session. Also the reason I don't have any new dyno video. I will say the thing drives a LOT better now. Overall driving manners are way closer to stock than it was before the trans tune.

View attachment 394169View attachment 394170View attachment 394172View attachment 394171
Pull up on any Escalade V’s ? Bet that will be fun.

Danyi2170

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think there are very many people out here dropping $150k on the Escalade V? I am WAY over budget with my build and I still haven't spent anywhere near $100k and I purchased my Escalade new.....
Yeah you’re right. They’re spending it on something much better. I don’t know what your budget was to begin with but the fact you spent less than 100 K for your setup on a then new Escalade is actually impressive. You must have really good hook ups. I know you said you wouldn’t do it again but you got a deal in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RThomasII

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with the DOD delete kit, cam, and turbo setup, I'm happy to see the Escalade is getting 18mpg on the highway which is actually better gas mileage than my 5.3 Silverado with a 6" lift and 35" tires....

20230313_102219.jpg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure @sealandsky . I don’t have the 10 speed. I was inquiring about how the unlocking process worked, tuning, and feedback on the process and results. As I was previously under the impression that the 10 speed TCM’s were all locked even on the 18-20 MY.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure @sealandsky . I don’t have the 10 speed. I was inquiring about how the unlocking process worked, tuning, and feedback on the process and results. As I was previously under the impression that the 10 speed TCM’s were all locked even on the 18-20 MY.
the 10speed trans controllers are T87a and T93, the old work around was to swap in a T87 tcm which was used mostly for 8l90s, but also the early year 10l80/90s and worked for the most part with the newer ECMs without any issues. the "global b" architecture 2020+ vehicles was the hold up for the longest time but it looks like hptuners now has an unlock service for both of the newer TCMs mentioned above.

There is also a PUN and a TUN that needs to be programmed into the TCM that is unique to each transmission, the transmission has a tag on the side that needs to connect live to gm data base and download, it has info for solenoid flow values or some crap from what ive gathered. that service could only be done at a dealer with their diagnostic/programming tools so its best to use your own tcm to send out and get unlocked as it would already have your transmissions PUN/TUN programmed into it. if you want to get a spare TCM to just be able to swap it you would need to have the dealer do some programming to it

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 10speed trans controllers are T87a and T93, the old work around was to swap in a T87 tcm which was used mostly for 8l90s, but also the early year 10l80/90s and worked for the most part with the newer ECMs without any issues. the "global b" architecture 2020+ vehicles was the hold up for the longest time but it looks like hptuners now has an unlock service for both of the newer TCMs mentioned above.

There is also a PUN and a TUN that needs to be programmed into the TCM that is unique to each transmission, the transmission has a tag on the side that needs to connect live to gm data base and download, it has info for solenoid flow values or some crap from what ive gathered. that service could only be done at a dealer with their diagnostic/programming tools so its best to use your own tcm to send out and get unlocked as it would already have your transmissions PUN/TUN programmed into it. if you want to get a spare TCM to just be able to swap it you would need to have the dealer do some programming to it
You are a wealth of information! Thank you for the deep dive, looks like I have some work ahead!

OP
OP
RThomasII

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a quick video of the truck making some turbo noises while exiting the highway. Unfortunately my phone didn't pick up the turbo whistle as well as I would have liked....

OP
OP
RThomasII

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update on the this project....

Shipped the truck down to Late Model Domestics to get a retune. Between LMD and Pray Performance we managed over 700HP at the wheels on 11lbs of boost. On a corrected dyno we actually saw 775 rwhp but I don't have video of those pulls so it didn't happen.

This turned out to be a fun (and expensive) project that I took about as far I as was willing to go. So... The twin turbo Esky that I swore I would NEVER get rid of has been sold. I replaced it with a 2023 C8 Corvette Stingray with the z51 package that probably won't see any mods for a while.

I am also looking for a low mileage 2019 - 2020 Yukon Denali.... but for now I'm out of the GM big SUV game....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right