HOT damn near Lava HOT!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sup ya'll quicc question need info i hooked up one sub so far to a 1600 watt hifonics amp right so i seen that there are extra ports to hook the other sub up so i did and love the sound even though the subs are rated at 2000RMS they getting bout 800 rms i think and are poundingn but besides that i have a kinds of skinny power wire and that shit is red hot i burnt myself the other day and there is a part of the wire where it is cremp'd together and that part is burning thru the electrical tape what to do i have not put my capacitor in yet so all the amps are running off that BS factory batt help!!!!

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get at least 4 gauge wire..im running 0 gauge...a capacitor wont do shit, invest in a yellow top or a kenitics battery..upgrade all your grounds as well as running a bigger wire from the alt to the battery

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get rid of that crimp and thin wire. I'd run at the minimum 4 ga. The smaller gauge wire and the crimp is causing electrical resistance and starts to heat up. When it heats up, it creates even more resistance and limits current available to the amp.

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
in addition to what jk said make sure that power wire has a fusible link and is directly connected to the positive terminal of the battery. make sure your ground wire is the same gauge of the power wire too...the shorter the ground the better...within 1-2 feet from the amp maybe a little longer, if need be.

Pat

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude, thats bad news, the wire is hot because of the friction cause by the electron flow through the wire. That means no matter how awesome your alternator is, or how bad ass your battery is, or even if you have a 50 farad cap, your gonna lite something on fire. You NEED a bigger power wire, you NEED a fused link, and you need your ground wire to be as big as or bigger than your power wire, also you need to keep the power and ground wires as short as possible.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
your amp is trying to run, like you would with one nostril on your nose clamped shut. Voltage, aka current pull needs a good railway, so larger diameter power wire. Overkill can be overkill, but under kill can be dangerous.

OP
OP
Nfamous60

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info I'll look into it today i just kept my system off i didn't listen to any musix til i got ya'll feed back so let me get this str8

1) bigger power wire from Alt to Batt?
2) i have a power wire with a fuse from the batt to the amp. which damn near runns the length of the trucc becuz my system in behind the 3rd row / replace this with 4 gauge wire?
3) bigger ground wire as well? / my ground wire for the amp runs the same way the power wire does from the front but it is tied to the fender.
4) get a better battery / trying at the moment (broke) but still have the cap.
5) get ride of that cremp

Thanxs alot ya'll i'm on it but quicc question could i run my ground wire to the body under the hatch lock panel???

to better decribe what im talking about: you kno when you open the hatch the loop i guess you call it that the liftgate grabs onto when you close it. if you remove that plastic piece its all body. i kno sumone said the shorter the ground the better so i was thinking there. also should i leave both subs connected to the amp or go bac to using 1? once again very much appreciate the advice ya'll im outty stay safe i'll keep you's posted. lol

Last edited:

NoChrome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steps 2, 3, & 5 are most important. 4 is least important as far as safety goes.

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
your ground wire should be the same size as your power wire and should NOT be ran as far as it is if it's goin up to the front of the hoe. I wouldn't run it though to the spot you are asking about. pull up the carpet and scrape off the paint/undercoating on the sheet metal and use a non-coated selftapping screw or bolt (if you can get to the other side of the sheetmetal) and a crimp terminal ring and ground there. Stinger makes a dedicated ground piece, but since i'm at work i can't access their site to show you an example, but it mounts to an unpainted surface and has a place to insert an exposed 4 ga wire into it and then a hex screw to tighten down that works great! since your system is at the rear of the vehicle make sure the ground is back there too. you can use a single grounding point as I described and run that ground to a ground distribution block and run multiple amp's grounds to that block, if need be. As all have already stated...get at least 4 ga wire for both the power and ground....0 or 1 ga is even better.

The crimp is a fire hazard waiting to happen...fix it or you might have a fire on your hands and no hoe!

Have you done the big 3 upgrade yet? One doesn't have to replace the wiring for a big 3 upgrade. You can add an additional 8 ga to the existing wiring using new connectors on the added wiring too/instead. BUT, it's better to just replace the wiring with larger gauge wiring.

Also, what size of fuse/fusable link are you using? Is it matched to your system's size. Just be casue you have a fusable link, if it's not properly sized it may not blow when needed. I prefer to use circuit breakers instead of fuses, but the breaker must be properly sized.

OP
OP
Nfamous60

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sup ya'll I got a 4 gauge kit for $70 didnt put it in yet. but yeah i thans ya'll again for the info and OAK i see exactly what your saying about the crimp becuz!!! i looked at it and all the electrical tape was melted to the actual crimp part..so yeah my system is down til further notice plus i got to put my capacitor and i think i might have to go to a zero gauge becuz i still have to swap out my 900watt crunch amp for a 1100watt amp to run mmy voice ( the crunch aint cuttn it) and i still have to replace my 1600watt hifonics for a 2100watt hifonics and then get 2 to run 1 for each sub. so in total i will have over 5000watt rms in my truck not to mention i need a small amp and equalizer to run the entire system plus tweeters i wish i could give ya'll a sound clip becuz my **** be knoccn SERIOUSLY!!! and if its running half ass now i can only image after i do the upgrades ya'll suggested. once again thanx every1 stay safe and drive safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20