HID Upgrade for ‘18 Tahoe - Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hdlf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
want to swap out my halogens for HID. Is the process straight forward via plug in play harness and ballast? Any mods needed on the headlight housing? Debating if I should do it myself or have dealership do it with OEM parts I order.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will just state that if you go with any HID setup that is not OEM that I recommend wiring up relays so the power is not ran thru the factory harness and fuse box, I have ran HID's for practically 2 decades and eventually they will melt a factory fuse box, might not appear for some time but eventually.... just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
H

Hdlf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will just state that if you go with any HID setup that is not OEM that I recommend wiring up relays so the power is not ran thru the factory harness and fuse box, I have ran HID's for practically 2 decades and eventually they will melt a factory fuse box, might not appear for some time but eventually.... just my 2 cents.

Thx much. Will the OEM HID components be a simple plug n play with the halogen or do I need a whole new headlight housing and plug?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thx much. Will the OEM HID components be a simple plug n play with the halogen or do I need a whole new headlight housing and plug?
on the 2018's I don't know, I would look at what you have already and see if there is any factory option for HID already present there may be a different plug sitting there not used I really don't know on the NEW trucks haven't played with any of them as yet, maybe check in your underhood fusebox also and see if there is anything marked HID

OP
OP
H

Hdlf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Checked. No extra plugs. I am pretty sure the assembly’s on the ‘18 is similar to the ‘17

Mad Maxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the Housings, Wiring, and everything is different with OE Halogen VS HID.

It's not a simple plug and play swap for the dealer to do.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done this mod (OE HID). It’s expensive, but I have no regrets. Very happy I pulled the trigger.

@mad max is correct. The halogen and HID projectors inside the housing are different. You have to swap the entire headlight assemblies.

For the wiring, you can’t simply plug in the HID housings even though the connector fits. The signal for the low beams is PWM (pulse width modulated) which basically means the voltage is being “pulsed” to the low beam. I actually tried it and the HID bulb kept flickering with the ballast turning off and on because of the PWM signal.

There are two paths you can take with the wiring:

To be completely OE, the BCM needs to be reprogrammed for HIDs. Then there are a few wires to move on the BCM connectors and some wiring to add in the forward lamp harness which will then land in the headlight connectors.

The other method (what I did) is to use a custom relay harness. It will get around the PWM because its pulling power direct from the battery. The original low beam signal only provides the “turn on” signal to the relays.

0e15fe1affcd82eb11fe84167ca810ef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bone1