Hid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'd have to get back under the truck and tear it all down to remember exactly what I did, but I know for a fact I used all the wires and didn't cut anything off.

I'm assuming you're talking about the red and black wires with the little tabs on the ends, too. Those tabs go into the socket, IIRC.

Other then that, I didn't have extra wires. We might be talking about two different things, not really sure.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
First off, that blue or white wire is called a return wire. It USUALLY has nothing to do with Kelvin rating. Most manufacturers use plastic, metal or porcelain to cover the wire from accidental bumping, and grounding out wire. So.. wouldn't go off of what color is on the return wire. But then again, that bulb manufacturer may use that as a way of marking Kelvin for bulb. IE. Kelvin Rating= 4300k,5000k,6000k and so on.

Second: Those two wires with the socket plug are there if you decide to wire into another source or directly to headlight socket. Most PnP HID kits use KET AMP connecters for + & - bulb wiring. Your bulb will have two wires going into socket( KET AMP connectors) that then plug into same KET AMP connectors off of ballast. Then you have two other + & - wires into a socket plug. Now, most people will run headlight socket into ballast then main KET AMP connector to HID bulb. Now, some people will not run headlight socket into ballast, but use the provided socket, on HID bulb, to plug into ballast and then either to headlights directly or to other wires to turn headlights on manually. Not very often, but there if you need it.

Now, regarding cutting. I have gone thru many HID bulbs from bad manufacturers, and have always cut those two + & - wire with socket off along with grommet. Now I use debased Phillips or Osram bulbs or DS1/DS2 bulbs. Only problem is some sellers, companies of what have you, will not except return/exchange of HID bulbs with those wires/socket cut off because it's now altered/damaged. Again, some!! I have had that problem, few and far between, but technically it's altered or damaged by removing those wires/socket. I would suggest contacting company you bought kit off of to make sure it's ok first. Because you never know if you will need to return or exchange bulbs.
I have had bad bulbs, wrong colors, bad colors, dull, faded bulbs and crappy bases that broke. There are SO many HID bulb manufacturers out there, and are a dime a dozen, and cheap stuff is made. That's why I suggest getting debased Phillips or Osram bulbs, alittle bit more money, but are the real deal, and you know it's quality stuff by a quality company. Just my suggestions and opinions. Hope it helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHITEOUT you make a lot of sense. Your busting up my excitement because I went the cheaper way. lol... Seriously I might just be calling DDM to make sure. thx. for the info.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
It's all good bro!! Don't stress on it man. I have used plenty of standard HID bulbs from various manufacturers out there, and most work very well. Just saying, Debased Phillips or Osram bulbs are the best way to go. But, just like regular DS1/DS2 or any OEM type Phillips or Osram bulb is quite expensive, $50-$100 a set!!! And debased can be up there also. Soooo.... Not saying everyone should do that, just saying you get what you pay for as we all know. But... I have used cheap $10 HID bulbs with absolutely no problems. So don't stress on that. But as far as cutting the wires. I would suggest asking them about warranty issue that MAY arise down the road. Hate to not be warrantied just cause you didn't want a some stupid wires hanging from your light that you don't even see!!! Know what I mean. NO WORRIES THO BRO

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Also, just another note about PnP kits.

They are PnP. Everything should be straight-forward; i.e. this plug goes into this socket because that's the only place it'll fit....that kind of thing. If you have a couple extra wires when you get everything hooked up and your lights are working, THEN trim things.

It's pretty common-sense, generally speaking.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just zip tied the extra wires up the the others, and when they are tucked away it all looks good enough!!

92__silverado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know what you do Cobra, I finally got mine but I've had so much going on I have not had a chance to install them. Probably a good thing since I just found out that somehow the lenses have fallen out of both my fog lights.
On a side note if anyone has a set of stock fog lights for an 03 Tahoe for a good price please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

OP
OP
C

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who said cut the extra wires you were right!:Handshake:
I checked the DDM website and found all the info under DIY. Once I got under the truck and saw if was all PNP easy!! Hell of a lot brighter. Nice and white. not really seeing the hint of blue. if it's there it is minimal. Downside I really need to adjust my headlights down now. :Boo:

04Tahoe066-1.jpg
04Tahoe065.jpg
04Tahoe069.jpg
Stock
04Tahoe058-1.jpg
6K lows & Fogs
04Tahoe070-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member