Engine cover question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered if the beauty covers are in any way useful?
I've always wondered, what's so ugly about what's underneath them?
Then I throw it out, after which I'm even more confused as to why it was covered up in the first place.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That second Pic is of the piece at the back of the engine that makes it so difficult to change the oil pressure sensor
Has anybody discovered what GMs purpose was for the second pic (the plenum cover, not the engine cover). Sound deadening? Doubtful. Airflow direction? Dubious. Plenum protection? Unlikely. Heat protection? Nah. I’m thinking of taking mine off when I remove the plenum but I am still curious.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2nd pic of the foam stuff under the cover?

yeah that's sound damping. the big plastic intakes tend to make the normal sounds of an engine amplified. a old school aluminium intake wouldn't, but these hollow thin plastic ones do. so people don't really like when the engine in their 50k$ truck sounds like a old sewing machine at idle. so they try and kill some of the valve clatter and stuff?

do you need it, not at all. do I leave it all on, yes because why not. what's the point of just seeing crap laying all over it? even with it off, what can ya see. some old heat cracked up harness loom and some cool packs?

on the hybrid, most of the covers have a jumper built in so that if they aren't on it will fail the pre start systems check for high voltage isolation. it catches people out from time to time after working on them and then nothing happens when trying to start it.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
the 2nd pic of the foam stuff under the cover?

yeah that's sound damping. the big plastic intakes tend to make the normal sounds of an engine amplified. a old school aluminium intake wouldn't, but these hollow thin plastic ones do. so people don't really like when the engine in their 50k$ truck sounds like a old sewing machine at idle. so they try and kill some of the valve clatter and stuff?

do you need it, not at all. do I leave it all on, yes because why not. what's the point of just seeing crap laying all over it? even with it off, what can ya see. some old heat cracked up harness loom and some cool packs?

on the hybrid, most of the covers have a jumper built in so that if they aren't on it will fail the pre start systems check for high voltage isolation. it catches people out from time to time after working on them and then nothing happens when trying to start it.
I’m talking about the rear plenum cover that blocks the oil pressure sender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork