HID Lighting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever get this issue fixed? I just picked up a Kenwood radio that is doing the same thing, as soon as I turn on my HIDs the radio will go into protect mode. I do not have a relay harness on the lights but that was my next step. According to Kenwood, the radio goes into protect mode when there is a blown speaker or a short in the speaker wires. Ive checked each speaker and all is working fine. Anyway, I was just wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem. Thanks.

OP
OP
trevcda

trevcda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. I added the relay harness and it did not fix the problem. Actually the problem just got worse on the road trip I just got back from. As I was arriving at my destination, it went into protect mode for no apparent reason and despite pushing the reset button many times it wouldn't snap out of it. So I pulled it out and cut the rear speaker runs thinking maybe a blown 4x10 and the rear door amp might be too much for it. Still no love. Then I cut the front speakers leaving nothing but the two power wires and the ground and it still went into protect. Well I'm wasn't going to drive six hours home with nothing to listen to but the voices in my head! I ended up stopping at a pawn shop and picked up a cheap Kenwood with the same harness that I could use my satellite with to get home. It doesn't have the blue tooth and hand free function, which I use a lot, so I'll be repairing or replacing my deck.

Purely speculating, I think that the protect circuitry may be deficient in some units causing them to become increasing sensitive to the point that it will not let the unit function. I was able to nurse it along for a couple of years by turning on the lights before the radio came on, but eventually it just stopped working. I can't say it's known problem for Kenwood, but it's not the first time I've seen or heard of this happening.

Added: I forgot to mention that the replacement deck had absolutely no problems with the lighting or the speakers. No protect mode at all. So I'm pretty sure the problem is the deck, not the lights. A little googling brings up an issue with a board level component if it it still goes into protect with no speakers hooked up to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevcda

trevcda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to add further to this- I did get a replacement Blue Tooth deck for it, the same model actually and guess what? It will go into protect just like the other one, although not as easily... Yet. I suspect that, like the old one, I'll get a few years out of it before its symptoms finally get worse and eventually it stops working too. If it weren't for the lifetime satellite subscription, I'd just replace it. I suppose next time I'll probably just do it.

CSX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was there an aftermarket stereo installed in the truck when you took ownership of it? I'm having a hard time believing that two different decks are at fault here...I'm leaning more towards shoddy wiring.

Most decks will have an "illumination" wire that will dim the deck backlight when the lights are turned on. Granted, it will do this even when the parking lights are on, not just the headlights. Maybe a longshot, but maybe the previous installed spliced into one of the headlight wires (which may carry more current, depending on the design of the headlight switch) as opposed to any of the other wires that will generate +12V when the parking lights are switched on.

Two questions to narrow this down:

1) Does the deck go into protect mode when just the parking lights are on?
2) Does the backlighting on the deck dim when just the parking lights are on?

The only other idea I may have is a weak charging system in general, but even then, if your battery or alternator were on the verge of death, the deck would simply shut off due to lack of current, not go into protect mode.

OP
OP
trevcda

trevcda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had a factory deck when I got it. I only use the eight speakers wires, three power wires and one amp wire. Dimming feature and other wires are capped off and are not used. I use a factory to Kenwood wiring harness and have verified the wiring. I believe it's when the headlights turn on, not the parking lights. The charging system checked out fine and were that the issue I would expect a good bass hit to draw enough amperage to produce the same symptom easily.

The first deck was factory with no issues, the next deck was a Kenwood KDC-X590 with no problems, the next ibe was a Kenwood KDC-X994-the first one to exhibit the issue and become unusable, a random Kenwood purchased in route to replace the broken one (still works, just no BT) and finally another Kenwood KDC-X994 with will occasionally go into protect mode when the headlights are turned on after it has completed it's own start up cycle. The last one also likes to making thumping noises (most pronounced through the sub) having nothing to do with the audio being played, but sounding more like it's picking up something from the Tahoe's electronics or maybe a dry solder joint arcing.

Just to clarify my qualifications; I have a strong electronics background still working in electronics as an electronic security consultant for healthcare, corrections, government and industrial installations and at one point owned at custom home, commercial and mobile audio installation shop for fifteen years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65