Hid help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukon07Artic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As said before, it is important to dissable the approach lighting function for the remote lock/unlock funtion through DIC. This will eliminate the short headlight run time which greatly shortens the life of HIDs.

Im newb and i didnt understand this phrase but it sounds important to me. Zed can you rephrase the statement so a 2 year old can understand?

I understood this as, "turn off your automatic headlamp system"

what is a approach lighting function?

tx07tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you install a relay then you dont have to turn off the approach lighting(lights that turn on when you unlock your truck at night). I had the same problem you did then got a relay and havent had problems since. I have slim ballasts for my fogs and hi's and it comes with a relay.
100_0258.gif
The black rectangle is the relay.

yukon07Artic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to assume that the slims are safer and a smarter move for both low/highs and fog lights.

Fog lights especially because it produces more heat which will mean i will run into housing burn problems less.

its about the same price as the normal apexcone cause the Slims already come with a relay so i wont have to purchase a seperate relay right?

I'll have to cancel my first order and get SLims for my HID solution.

Any thoughts?

tx07tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya you dont need a relay if you get slims with one in it. If you think its a down side slims cause the HID bulb to shine brighter.

yukon07Artic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya you dont need a relay if you get slims with one in it. If you think its a down side slims cause the HID bulb to shine brighter.

Thanks for the input, i made my mind up getting the slims.

Im goign to get the low/highs 5000k 55w. Would the 5000k 35W be similar in the color spectrum? . It said on ddm that 55w has a washed out effect. but when i checked the color spectrum for 55w and 35w they both looked super white, which is what im going for

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slims are digital ballasts and those are the way to go (soft start).

TX07, I never hear the slim ballasts cause the HID bulbs to shine brighter. Where did you hear that?

Yukon are you sure the slim ballasts come with the relays. If so, that is new to DDM (combo that is). For 5000k 55W will be brighter than 35W and color wash will not be an issue. The color wash applies to high K ratings such has 6000k+ (for 6000k the normal output is blue but with higher wattage it will be more white [like 5000k]).

As far as the approach lighting, in the DIC scroll to the Remote Unlock Doors menu and in there you can select the option to turn off the Approach Lighting. The approach lighting means when you unlock/lock the doors remotely, the headlights will either blink (not good for HIDs) or stay on briefly during the night. I can't remember the exact lighting sequence, but this function should be turned off.

tx07tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had regular ballasts before and then went to slims and they are brighter.Plus the guy that put them in my Hi's said they where.

yukon07Artic

Full Access Member
Reaction score

TX07, I never hear the slim ballasts cause the HID bulbs to shine brighter. Where did you hear that?

Yukon are you sure the slim ballasts come with the relays. If so, that is new to DDM (combo that is). For 5000k 55W will be brighter than 35W and color wash will not be an issue. The color wash applies to high K ratings such has 6000k+ (for 6000k the normal output is blue but with higher wattage it will be more white [like 5000k]).

As far as the approach lighting, in the DIC scroll to the Remote Unlock Doors menu and in there you can select the option to turn off the Approach Lighting. The approach lighting means when you unlock/lock the doors remotely, the headlights will either blink (not good for HIDs) or stay on briefly during the night. I can't remember the exact lighting sequence, but this function should be turned off.

I called ddm. I ordered my slims on sunday so i wanted to check up on them so i called them. I asked the guy if i need to purchase a seperate relay for it and he said no. he said it comes included with the whole system. but the guy was in sucha hurry to hang up on me that i really dont trust him that much. Dont expect top quality service from some of these people cause its holiday season and i they are trying to get in orders as fast as they can. They also told me that the lights wont be shipped until mid this week and ill most likely receive my hids somewhere end of next week. Ill call again to verify if it includes the relay

I had regular ballasts before and then went to slims and they are brighter.Plus the guy that put them in my Hi's said they where.

It might have been your perception of upgrading the lights, but the slims and the regular are both made with same technology. its not necessarily brighter but the can differ on calvin because the slims have a wider spectrum of white. either way it can be translated at bright, cause closer to 4300k the brighter the Hids.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

I called ddm. I ordered my slims on sunday so i wanted to check up on them so i called them. I asked the guy if i need to purchase a seperate relay for it and he said no. he said it comes included with the whole system. but the guy was in sucha hurry to hang up on me that i really dont trust him that much. Dont expect top quality service from some of these people cause its holiday season and i they are trying to get in orders as fast as they can. They also told me that the lights wont be shipped until mid this week and ill most likely receive my hids somewhere end of next week. Ill call again to verify if it includes the relay

update!! just found out it does not come with the wire harness! i knew i couldnt trust the first guy. However the 55w already comes with the wire harness, but not for the 35w. A guy name paul helped me second time and he was much more courteous and friendly.ill let you know how this goes.

UPDATE!! 2!!!

LOL the 55w slims comes with the wire harness and 35 doesnt. 35w is in back order right now

Im getting 5000k for both 55w hi/low beam and 35w fogs 5202/h16
here is a pic of the spectrum
hid-bulb-color-chart-color-guide.jpg

It might have been your perception of upgrading the lights, but the slims and the regular are both made with same technology. its not necessarily brighter but the can differ on calvin because the slims have a wider spectrum of white. either way it can be translated at bright, cause closer to 4300k the brighter the Hids.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

here is a pic of the spectrum
hid-bulb-color-chart-color-guide.jpg

[/COLOR]

Last edited:

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I have always had to buy my harnesses seperately, so I'll be surprised if you actually get one included with your 55w kit.

I have never heard of slim ballasts being brighter then any other ballast. Theoretically that doesn't even make sense if everything else is equal (output power, kelvin, etc.).

tx07tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said before thats what the guy who installed them warned me about. But my cousin is getting slims for his fogs so I'll take pics before and after to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove