Hesitation from a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04BlackTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 04 Tahoe 5.3L with 168K on it. For the past few months it has had a hesitation when accelerating from a stop at a stop sign or stop light. There are no codes, but I replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the throttle body and nothing changed. I also have new plugs and wires on but nothing has changed.
Once you get moving from a stop she accelerates very fast. Could it be a MAP sensor or throttle positioning sensor?

Thanks for any ideas you can pass along.

Mike

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 Tahoe 5.3L with 168K on it. For the past few months it has had a hesitation when accelerating from a stop at a stop sign or stop light. There are no codes, but I replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the throttle body and nothing changed. I also have new plugs and wires on but nothing has changed.
Once you get moving from a stop she accelerates very fast. Could it be a MAP sensor or throttle positioning sensor?

Thanks for any ideas you can pass along.

Mike

It could be your throttle position sensor, I would look at your accelerator position sensor as well. If you have a scanner that can read live data, might see what your accelerator position sensor is reading as you press on the accelerator and how it correlates to the hesitation you are feeling.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at 168k it might be time to change the MAF that's typically where I see them start to take a dump, cleaning may sometimes help but after 160k they can get funky. just my .02

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What the DOUBLE W's, Wade and Wes, said. Cleaning is an ATTEMPT to fix the MAF but does not always fix. After so many miles it sometimes is just time to bite the bullet and replace it. Reading live data is very helpful as well. You get to see what is going on right when you experience the problem. What fuel brand and grade are you running? When was the last time this was changed: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=356952&cc=1424247&jsn=2253

I doubt a fuel pump problem but maybe the filter. While you are in there it is a perfect time to get a fuel pressure reading for reference purposes.

Jrschultz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going off this thread because I don't know how to start my own. 2010 Tahoe. Had a lifter go. That awesome AFM design. #7 cylinder. Redid all of them. Got it back together and started up. A little hesitation on the throttle from a stop and I have a very slight miss. Got the engine light and a #7 cylinder code. Any ideas? Haven't moved coil, wire, and plug yet to see if it moves the reading

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Going off this thread because I don't know how to start my own. 2010 Tahoe. Had a lifter go. That awesome AFM design. #7 cylinder. Redid all of them. Got it back together and started up. A little hesitation on the throttle from a stop and I have a very slight miss. Got the engine light and a #7 cylinder code. Any ideas? Haven't moved coil, wire, and plug yet to see if it moves the reading

Click on the link that @clandr1 posted, that will take you to the correct forum for this subject. Then select the "Post thread" button and it will open up a new thread for you in that section. Give it a good title and enter your text for the first post. After you post it you can manage the title later if you need to.

If you want to start from scratch in a different location, select your desired year and sub-forum from the main page (like the 2007-2014, "Interior" etc.), and use the "Post thread" button in that sub-forum to start a new thread. If you happen to start a new thread in the wrong forum, let one of the mods know you'd like it moved.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645