Help with brake-related noise - Dealer stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TYDriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some context: I worked as mechanic in college (40 yrs ago), have done brakes jobs on and off since then. Turns out I am not as smart as I thought.

2015 Tahoe LTZ, 120,000 miles). Need some expertise on relentless brake noises (2). I have had the brakes completely done - TWICE - in the last 2 months. New rotors all around including using the special rear drums to reduce noise recommended in service bulletin. New pads and hardware. New brake vacuum pump and software update per recall. Fluid replaced. ALL parts TWICE because we can't get rid of 2 noises that only begin when brakes are applied. Nothing in normal travel.

1. When traveling at 20 MPH or above, and begin to apply brakes a high pitched chirping noise (lie a bird chirp) is heard that varies with the speed of the car. Frequency starts out fast and slows as car slows. Stops below 5-10mph.
  2. When braking to nearly a stop, begin to hear a rhythmic growl (wub, wub, wub) from about 5 miles an hour that slows in frequency as the car stops. Almost like a pad dragging, but no scoring on any of the new rotors. If constant noise I would have guessed wheel bearing, but only happens on braking.
Dealer has given up. Second brake job was free because of the noises. What are we missing? Calipers? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recheck caliper slides and pads. Cheap pads do funny things. Dealer Doesn't sound capable unless he was to do it for free.

Travis510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever figure out your issue. I’m experiencing part 2 of your problem.