HELP PLEASE, Engine Shuts off at STOP after airaid install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTN09

Reaction score
Title says it all. After installing the air aid MIT on my new Tahoe, Everything was fine for a couple of days. I laid it out a few times and today my engine light came on. I didn't think anything was wrong until I was a a dead stop. My RPM would go crazy and then straight to zero and my engine cuts off. This only happens if Im at a complete stop. So I had a hard time getting home because I kept having to turn the engine back on. PLEASE HELP, I'm switching back to stock in the morning.

:bawl:

babamerino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. After installing the air aid MIT on my new Tahoe, Everything was fine for a couple of days. I laid it out a few times and today my engine light came on. I didn't think anything was wrong until I was a a dead stop. My RPM would go crazy and then straight to zero and my engine cuts off. This only happens if Im at a complete stop. So I had a hard time getting home because I kept having to turn the engine back on. PLEASE HELP, I'm switching back to stock in the morning.

:bawl:

I've never heard of that happening but maybe try and uninstall then reinstall? Maybe you missed a step? Is the MAF connected?

OP
OP
L

LTN09

Reaction score
Yea, the MAF is connected. I didnt have to unplug it. It was fine for a day. Didn't really drive it much, started happening today only at a complete stop.

Really hard to get home without stopping completely, so I took the back roads and skimmed around for cops and other cars.

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
I'd clean the MAF sensor and unhook battery cable for about 15 mins. Did you put a new air filter in? I've read a lot of people say that air filters that utilize oil to catch particles can allow some oil to get in to the MAF sensor and 'foul' it.

OP
OP
L

LTN09

Reaction score
nope basically just switched out the tubes. Just the Airaid MIT. Not the Jr. kit.

Using stock filter, no use to change it since its only 6months old.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure a hose clamp didn't come undone from the tube(s) or filter?

Years ago when I had a Maxima my cone air filter separated from the intake tube and I had similar results....just an idea

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like the symptoms of a vacuum leak. I'd retrace your steps and see if there is something that isn't attached correctly.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am with these guys on a vacuum leak.

OP
OP
L

LTN09

Reaction score
Yepp, sure was.

I decided to go back to stock and in taking apart everything, it so happens I didn't really connect the hump hose!
All is good now I think. I've been watching the RPM still moves veryyy tiny jump at a stop. Hopefully the engine light does not come back on.
Thanks everyone!

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out - tracing vacuum leaks can be a PITA.

Slight RPM variations at idle are "normal" for these trucks (according to GM, which is a crock of horseshit if you ask me but my truck does it little bit too). It might be a little bit more pronounced until the PCM learns the new AFR, since you have a little bit more air and less restriction in the intake path now. I'd unplug your negative battery cable for about 30 minutes to let the PCM reset, so it can start fresh with the new intake in place.

Then get a tune from black bear and really wake it up. :cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danepfalgout