HELP! Paint Fading - 2017 GMC Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ Rat

Reaction score
My 2017 Yukon Denali has SEVERE paint fading on the hood and roof (I'm not a auto painter but assume it's the clear coat; it looks foggy). It seems to have started about 3.5 years in and has drastically increased in the last several months. I am 3 weeks away from 4 years old and my lease is almost up. The standard warranty is over. The dealer said "We contacted GM and they are willing to split the bill to repaint the roof and hood." They want me to pay $1,000.00 for just the hood and roof. What the heck are they thinking? What about the sides and the rear? Clearly it'll all start fading prematurely too!

I called GM directly and they said they will talk with the dealership. I have lost faith in GM. I told the GM rep they should "own this" and that "This is not a dealership issue, it's a GM issue. GM made the car, not the dealership!"

It's insane to spend $60k - $80k for a vehicle that has paint that fades in under 4 years!

I am so frustrated and disappointed in GM. I love the Yukon Denali but it looks like $h!t and it's ridiculous I have to pay more $$$$ to repaint it.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions?

I wanted to buy it after the lease end this month but it makes me not want to ever own a GM ever again!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a thread on this in the other truck forum with numerous complaints so it is a known problem.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen any white ones with this issue on the other forums. Mostly we’re black and gray. I don’t have any issues with my 18. I do have an issue with clear coat pealing from rear bumper near wheel wells.
E8BA5E74-7161-41E8-B33D-9BF2DC704DAE.jpeg

Azjames

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you solve your fading paint issue? My 2016 has the same problem and I'm lookin for solutions.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Hood looks like $#it. Rest of the paint is A1

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Pivot what exact model year andcolor is your vehicle?

@AZ Rat is no longer a member, but from his thumbnail image it seems his ride was Iridium Metallic. Which IIRC correctly was the same paint code referenced in another thread is faded hood and roof issues.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the other truck forum they were starting a class action suit and had the name of a law firm listed that you could contact.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as it sucks and I do think GM should at least help with vehicles that are just out of warranty and/or original owners, this isn't a new issue. This has been happening since the 800 trucks. The more environmentally friendly paints just don't last. Look around at other cars on the road, there are plenty of other brands that have the same issue. I had to have the roof, hood, and fenders of my 2013 Platinum repainted and there was also failure showing on the corners of top of the doors and tops of the 1/4 panels above the glass which I had wrapped in PPF to hopefully prevent it from spreading.