Help Needed - B1000 Symptom 35 Trouble Code - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I need some assistance from the Team. I started using my Tech 2, and I currently have two trouble codes.

History:

When I first used the Tech 2, I found out that it was working correctly, and I cleared all previous trouble codes, in order to start with a clean and blank slate. After removing all previous trouble codes, I ran the truck for 20 or so miles, and plugged in the Tech 2 again. I now have 2 trouble codes, but I do not believe that they are related to each other (unless, you tell me otherwise).

B1000 Symptom 35 ECU Performance ROM Failure
B1860 Symptom 06 Seat Lumber Vertical Position Sensor Circuit Short to Ground or Open

I have no dashboard lights or notifications popping up, nor I do not notice anything unusual in the way that the truck performs. The only unusual occurrence is that after I had the recent heater hose blowout and repair, I am getting over 2 mpg less than the average mpg across the past 2 years (not that I care, but it is a noticeable change).

I have a Black Bear Performance tune on the ECU and TCU that was last updated in May of 2019.

Screen shots of the current trouble codes are listed below:

B1000 Symptom 35.jpg
B1860 Symptom 06.jpg

Next Steps:

Please give me your thoughts and recommendations for proceeding with troubleshooting these 2 trouble codes. As always, you input and assistance are very much appreciated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
B1000 code: B1000 is an internal fault code for the BCM, either for an internal "write malfunction" or "checksum malfunction". According to the service manual, it might be a wiring issue, however, it is most likely a bad BCM.

B1860 code: The Body Control Module (BCM) monitors the Climate Control A/C Pressure Switch. The BCM sets the OBDII code when the Climate Control A/C Pressure Switch is not to factory specifications.

Sounds to me like it is not related to what you experienced and I see no reason for the 2 mpg loss related to them. I would get to that BCM and pull it and inspect and inspect wiring as far as you can.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I need some assistance from the Team. I started using my Tech 2, and I currently have two trouble codes.

History:

When I first used the Tech 2, I found out that it was working correctly, and I cleared all previous trouble codes, in order to start with a clean and blank slate. After removing all previous trouble codes, I ran the truck for 20 or so miles, and plugged in the Tech 2 again. I now have 2 trouble codes, but I do not believe that they are related to each other (unless, you tell me otherwise).

B1000 Symptom 35 ECU Performance ROM Failure
B1860 Symptom 06 Seat Lumber Vertical Position Sensor Circuit Short to Ground or Open

I have no dashboard lights or notifications popping up, nor I do not notice anything unusual in the way that the truck performs. The only unusual occurrence is that after I had the recent heater hose blowout and repair, I am getting over 2 mpg less than the average mpg across the past 2 years (not that I care, but it is a noticeable change).

I have a Black Bear Performance tune on the ECU and TCU that was last updated in May of 2019.

Screen shots of the current trouble codes are listed below:

View attachment 254558
View attachment 254559

Next Steps:

Please give me your thoughts and recommendations for proceeding with troubleshooting these 2 trouble codes. As always, you input and assistance are very much appreciated.

Joe, your BCM is beginning to malfunction and the lumbar portion of your driver's seat isn't working all the time as it should. Could be a loose wire issue but probably a motor is wore out. If you're the only one driving it, I'd get ready for a new BCM first. It has not completely failed, it just registered a partial failure. It wouldn't start if it failed.

Haven't driven mine much this year but the mileage is off on it too. My wife has been driving it and her mileage with it is way off too! I get better mileage burning E85 than she does on gas! LOL

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Folks. I much appreciate your responses.

I'll check all of the wiring and connectors. A few follow-up questions, if I may....

BCM

In the event that I determine that I need to replace the BCM, where would I look for a replacement? It looks like Rock Auto has some, but I will have to get the actual part number for mine, as it looks like that is more than one BCM part number for my year/model of truck.

If/when I replace the BCM, is it simply a plug and replace, or will there be some programming/security clearing procedures required?

Lumbar Support Position Sensor

To find this sensor, is it likely that it is located within the seat itself? If yes, would I need to remove the seat covering on the backrest portion of the seat to access it?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Folks. I much appreciate your responses.

I'll check all of the wiring and connectors. A few follow-up questions, if I may....

BCM

In the event that I determine that I need to replace the BCM, where would I look for a replacement? It looks like Rock Auto has some, but I will have to get the actual part number for mine, as it looks like that is more than one BCM part number for my year/model of truck.

If/when I replace the BCM, is it simply a plug and replace, or will there be some programming/security clearing procedures required?

Lumbar Support Position Sensor

To find this sensor, is it likely that it is located within the seat itself? If yes, would I need to remove the seat covering on the backrest portion of the seat to access it?
the new bcm would need to be programmed with a tech2 or by the dealer, there may be other company's that pre-program them for the vin but not sure you would need to look online like ebay or google

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the new bcm would need to be programmed with a tech2 or by the dealer, there may be other company's that pre-program them for the vin but not sure you would need to look online like ebay or google

Excellent! Since I have a Tech 2, I should be able to program it. If this is the outcome, I may need some programming tips from you or @swathdiver .

I'll check out the wiring first. Probably not today, at it is supposed to be in the low 90's.

Thanks again.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Since I have a Tech 2, I should be able to program it. If this is the outcome, I may need some programming tips from you or @swathdiver .

I'll check out the wiring first. Probably not today, at it is supposed to be in the low 90's.

Thanks again.
to do the programming you will need a tablet/laptop/pc with at least windows 7 and a serial port or usb to serial adapter and a cable that will reach from the computer to the tech2 to the truck.
then you have to pay the $40 subscription fee that gives you 2yrs of programming (per vin number). you will also want to have a 12v wall power cord to plug into the tech2 so it wont be depending on the truck battery for power. If the truck battery is not in good shape you may also want to have it hooked up to a battery charger.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Wes. Much appreciated. I'll have to think about that. May be easier to pay my mechanic the $40, and have him program it. Though, if I'm ever going to become proficient on using the Tech 2, no time like the present.

Who would I need to contact, in order to pay the $40 subscription fee?

I did previously try to install the Tech 2 software on my Windows 10 machine, and it would not start the installation, giving me a wrong OS error. I do have an old laptop with Windows 200 installed on it, and it runs, so that may be an option. And, it does have a serial port.