Help me ID this part (parasitic draw occurring)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
So I am in no way electrically inclined. So I’ve been experiencing a parasitic draw and what sounds like the clicking like my turn signal is on when it isn’t. So I stuck a light tester on the negative side of the battery and just started pulling fuses to see if it stopped (the light on the light tester or the clicking noise). I pulled every fuse and nothing, except the main battery fuse which tells me whatever this thing it is wired directly from the battery.

For reference, this metal box must be a relay of some sort, and its underneth dash about 7 inches to the left of the brake pedal. OBD2 port is forward of this thing and a few inches to the right.

What is it? The metal box must be 6-7 inches tall its about as tall as my hand when I slide my hand long side of it.

This is where the clicking noise is coming from.

relay2.jpeg

relay copy.jpg

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that white connector from it I assume? Also, year make ans model will help. Is it the 2 door tahoe in your ID?

OP
OP
IRQVET

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
No that white connector doesn’t go into that module, but it does have a smaller white connector that goes into the back of it.

1998 Tahoe LT, 2D, 4x4.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the party, had to get a chance to look at my Yukon. What you have an arrow to is the 4wd control module.
Using a test light to check for parasitic draw doesn't work well on PCM controlled vehicles with modules and other components with keep alive memory. You need to use a DVOM and a bridge to get an accurate reading. Acceptable draw is 30 mA, but you have to let everything power down first before opening the bridge and reading the draw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt