Help... Looking to purchase 04 Tahoe z71 tomorrow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vkkeller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I have been looking for a suv for a few months and at a Tahoe for a couple of weeks. After driving several 2004 Tahoes and 1 Yukon, I think I am ready to buy the very first one I (actually my dad) found. It is about two hours away at a local dealership where he lives. 2004 black Tahoe z71. Loaded. Leather, 5.3 flex fuel, heated seats, lumbar, DVD, etc. I would prefer capt seats in second row (this one has bench and no third row). If I can find two captain seats, can I move the middle row bench to back and install captain seats where the current bench is? Also, my bigger concern is that it has 137,000 miles. Is that too many?

I drove one with 97,000 (a/c didn't work and it appeared to have been treated poorly-a different dealership), one with 115,000 miles (rattled when it got to hwy speed-private seller), another with 135,000 (car fax scared me... Had 5 other owners and was a previous lease vehicle two of those times and auctioned twice-at yet another dealership), and another with 125,000 (speedometer issues-private seller).

The one I want (first one I looked at that my dad found) was a trade from original owner. My dad knows the salesman's family and I believe they are honest. Anyway to the price... They are down to $9,999. I am in the lower 9's. What do you think??? Also the drivers seat does not go up and down. This is the same button that makes the seat slide forward and backwards (which works fine). I can't find any other flaws. My dad had a mechanic friend look at it. No rust under. Oil looked good transmission fluid good. New tires. I would be moving from a car (03 Nissan Altima) to this Tahoe. I (and my daughter) don't like sitting so low to the ground and I need a larger vehicle not for people but for camping (has been hard in the car) and I also have another child headed out of state to College in two months... So lots to move!! Is it worth the loss of gas mileage? I would also love to get a pop up camper when I can afford one! How long can I expect this Tahoe to survive? SHOULD THIS BE MY NEW MODE OF TRANSPORTATION???

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond:)

buzzsaw714

Reaction score
middle bench wont fit in back, theres 2 side by side seats that go together to make 3rd row. uhhh 137k miles on a 5.3 you never know.. the engine is prob fine but everything else is what scares me.. if I were you I would buy based on cosmetics b/c these things are so easy to fix. are the seats ripped or faded? dashboard tarnished? transmissions gonna go in the next 50k miles guaranteed so biggest factor to me still would be the interior condition of carpet and such.. thats the most expensive thing to fix

LSUz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4l60e isnt GUARENTEED to go soon but it happens.
My z71 has 162k miles and runs like a champ. If it appears to be in great shape then that means it was probably taken care of.
No second row will not fit as a 3rd row.
Look on the inside of the bumpers to see if there is any rust, check and see if there is a newer water pump under the hood (those do go out in the 5.3's) check the headliner for condition, it can tell you alot.
It's a great/fun vehicle to drive.
I was averaging 15-16mpg stock in my z71.

Sent fr

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the waterpump for sure. mine went out at 110 on my Yukon. give the transmission a few hard tests on the test drive make sure its not banging or slipping into gear. if the rest of the truck is clean i dont see the problem. my Yukon has 130k on it now and 2 months ago i did a 14 hour drive 870 miles round trip with my 02 z28 on a trailer. averaged about 14 mpg the whole way which isnt bad considering theres an extra 4000 pounds on the back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bison1

Latest posts