Help installing double DIN touchscreen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

remix919

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to these forums and just bought my 2003 GMC Yukon Denali about a week or so ago. I decided to upgrade to an aftermarket 7" touchscreen headunit so I get an auxiliary input and also bluetooth capabilities. I bought a conversion harness so you would think the install should be simple, but I can't seem to get the thing to turn on, I even disconnected all the wires and connected only the yellow (power) and black (ground) wire just to try and get it to turn on, but nothing. I've hooked up aftermarket headunits before and have never had a problem, is there something special about the yukon I don't know about?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as you get the proper harness it works easy. Which harness (make/model) did you get?

OP
OP
R

remix919

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
as long as you get the proper harness it works easy. Which harness (make/model) did you get?

I'm using a Metra CF-WHGM3 car stereo wire harness for GM 1998-2008. The harness plugs into my yukon perfectly. I got it at advance auto parts.

OP
OP
R

remix919

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_20131023_190326.jpg
    IMG_20131023_190326.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20131023_190347.jpg
    IMG_20131023_190347.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 31

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wrong harness. Starting in 03 they used a completely different wiring system. You can' buy the $15 cheap harnesses anymore. Your Denali also has Bose.

Go to http:www.metraonline.com and you'll see what you need.

GMOS-04 ($100) for the harness
ASWC ($50) for steering wheel controls

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And also, don't forget to connect the remote turn-on wire (blue w/white stripe) or your Bose amp won't turn on..

OP
OP
R

remix919

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wrong harness. Starting in 03 they used a completely different wiring system. You can' buy the $15 cheap harnesses anymore. Your Denali also has Bose.

Go to http:www.metraonline.com and you'll see what you need.

GMOS-04 ($100) for the harness
ASWC ($50) for steering wheel controls

What's wrong with the harness? The plug fits perfectly, are the wires wrong and if so can I just wire them with a diagram instead of matching colors?

Also, if the harness just outright won't work, is there any local shop I can buy the right harness for or do I have to order online?

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the harness? The plug fits perfectly, are the wires wrong and if so can I just wire them with a diagram instead of matching colors?

It's a bit more complicated than that. in 03, they went to a different wiring system. There is no longer a "12v turn on wire" and instead everything is completely different. If you look at the GMOS-04, there's a black box that is basically a brain. It takes all of the OEM wiring and turns it in to signals for your radio to use. That box will give power to your radio and send power back to your factory bose amp to turn on. If you REALLY want to get around using the correct equipment, and you're very good with rewiring, you can rewire your setup so it comes on, but you will also lose OnStar, door chimes, RSE (if you have it) and others.

Also, if the harness just outright won't work, is there any local shop I can buy the right harness for or do I have to order online?

yes local stereo shops would have it.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the same harness I used, but I don't have bose, onstar , or rear seat controls. But you will lose RAP and chimes. Take that red wire and run it to a switched 12v wire in the fuse box. I believe it's labeled "seo acc " that will get the unit to turn on. Then you have to get your factory amp working. And I can't remember how to do that off the top of my head.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the same harness I used, but I don't have bose, onstar , or rear seat controls. But you will lose RAP and chimes. Take that red wire and run it to a switched 12v wire in the fuse box. I believe it's labeled "seo acc " that will get the unit to turn on. Then you have to get your factory amp working. And I can't remember how to do that off the top of my head.

yeah, I knew it was something along those lines when I said

If you REALLY want to get around using the correct equipment, and you're very good with rewiring, you can rewire your setup so it comes on, but you will also lose OnStar, door chimes, RSE (if you have it) and others.

and I think that same switched wire has to go to the Bose amp as well... just not 100% sure either.

Hopefully this helps a little, but honestly it's worth the $100 to retain everything you're trying to bypass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84