[HELP!] Have you ever heard this metal on metal noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seatown

Reaction score
Hello,

This past Saturday I just started hearing this noise...

I haven't tried to get a better idea of where it is coming from, but maybe someone has heard it before?

2009 Yukon

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. It’d be faster if it was in the motor… gotta be transfer case. Trans would be faster too

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. It’s always rotating. It’s bolted directly to the flywheel that’s bolted directly to the crank

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. It’s always rotating. It’s bolted directly to the flywheel that’s bolted directly to the crank
I think they were referring to the transfer case when they said TC. If it were the torque converter, I would agree with you.

I can't tell from the video but I would want a mechanic's stethoscope to pinpoint where that sound is coming from. I can't think of any way that a transfer case would make that sound just sitting in park.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would start in the engine compartment, take the serpentine belt off, start it up and see if the noise is still there wont hurt anything to run for a minute with the belt off. sounds like a tensioner or pulley to me, if the noise is gone spin stuff by hand to narrow it down. next thing to check if that's not it is to take a rubber mallet and start smacking the cat's and or heat shields.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71