Help a Newb with lowering questions '03 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I have an '03 Yukon SLT 4WD. Came with factory 17" wheels. Has the Nivomat rear shocks.

I'm looking at a 2/3 drop, nothing more as I need to use this truck on a dirt road in the winter time and I tow a polaris ranger & trailer occasionally.

I really want the truck to ride nicely as I'm getting older and appreciating all that much more now. Probably have to get with Tony and have him put a kit together. I'm looking at Bell Techs rebate this month and thinking that sounds pretty good. Opinions on the BT kits? Looking through the build thread, I don't see a lot of them, but more DJM and other stuff.

I wanna go with spindles, rear coils, shocks, etc. If the coils are a bit softer and ride nice that's fine. I'm down with some airbags too if needed for towing. How do you guys like the Bell Tech Street shocks?

I don't know if I need the free travel mod, but can easily do it if needed. Shorter rear swaybar links make good sense to me.

Any other parts I need to be looking at?

I just ordered some Ion Alloy #179 wheels:
ion179mb1.jpg

Wheel specs:
Brand ION
Style Number 179
Diameter 20.00"
Width 9.00"
PCD 6-139.7
Offset Number +12
Hub 108.00

I'm thinking 275-55-20's. Hows that tire & wheel combo sound? I don't know the offset/backspacing on the factory wheels, but am told these are the one's for that application.

Lastly, I need some suggestions on tire choice. I live in the country, so I have to drive 2-3 miles of dirt road every time I leave home and the same 2-3 miles when I go back. All street driving in between.

I want some tires that are decent in snow, but drive and ride nicely on the street. I'm running some of the newer Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventures on a jeep cherokee and I really like them. Good mix of street manners and off-road traction. Dunno if anyone's tried them on a Yukon. A regular street/performance tire won't work for this application, but I don't want a super gnarly AT either...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Dirk

OP
OP
DPGDirk

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my Hankook Dynapro ATms, grip for days.

Read your build thread. I like it.:)

I was gonna ask you about the noise level on those Hankooks, but with everything you've got going on, I doubt you'd hear the tires anyway...unless they're squealing!

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I have my cutout closed my truck really isn't that loud. But no the tires aren't noisy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Low Beam