HELP! 97 fuel pump wire harness issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jennylove21326

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I REALLY NEED HELP!!!

I have been trying to figure this one out for some time now.. I have a 97 with a rectangle fuel pump wire harness connector. THe issue I am having is my husband threw away the old connector before installing the new one which has 4 WHITE wires!!!! If anyone could help me out as to which color wires plug into with alphabetical spots on the harness. I have white wires going into a, c, e, and f.........

He is working 7 days a week and I am tired of hoping he will find some time and energy to do this... I am not afraid to do the work myself, in fact probably should have in the first place.

OP
OP
J

jennylove21326

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so with no help, I mananged to get the wired properly run, but have no power to pump, relays are fine, so ANGRY with this truck right now I wish I had full coverage so I could set it ablaze and get a replacement vehicle!!!!!! i REALLY NEED SOME DESCRIPTIVE IDEAS.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if you are absolutely sure you have it wired correctly check for resistance on the connector ground circuit for the pump to the left frame rail where the wire ground to. and you do know that when you turn on the key that relay will only be powered for 2 seconds right?

OP
OP
J

jennylove21326

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am sure that it is wired correctly. I double checked the wiring by straightwiring and pump kicked right on... Then I cheched the wires on the truck and have no power coming from the front of the truck..... GRRRR.... Stupid truck. So, after some research, I found that the wiring to the fuel pump goes thru the oil pressure switch?? Why, I am not sure, but I am thinking maybe when I can actually find that thing, I will check the connector there and possibly replace both the connector and the switch to play on the safe side.. Both are 50 at autozone, so that's not bad. Do you think, that it is possible, because my old connector was fried at the fuel pump, (which blackened my fuel pump pretty good too!) that maybe the other end (at the oil pressure switch) could have fried too?? Or any other options at this point....

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Oh and helpful info.....

Tank is still on ground beside truck until I have the electrical figured out!!

No point in putting it back in when having it out gives me more room to work on the wires... Especially since I fear there may be a re-wire in my near future! LOL

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
on the 97 model the pcm powers the relay for priming, starting. afterwards oil pressure in the pressure switch maintains the power. the purpose is to ensure that during a roll over or sudden stoppage of oil pressure the fuel supply is cut of to prevent a run-on or engine damage. the relay output and oil pressure switch output meeting a splice about 16 cm from the fuse relay block.you need to find out why the relay will not activate when turning the key on for 2 seconds. solve that, and assuming all other wiring and components are good, and once started the oil pressure will keep the pump running. Below is a diagram of the setup. you could try testing the relay or shorting its connector block to see if pump runs thru the original wiring.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
J

jennylove21326

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. So I am still working on this. We have been checking wires and have determined that there is no power going into the relay for the fuel pump. I have looked at the diagram shared in the previous reply. (Thank you Sunlit Comet!) I am trying to to figure this one out. If we run power from 12V to pump we get a running pump. If we splice and run power to gray at oil pressure switch (after the connector going back to relay) we get nothing. Power to fuel pump prime connector and it works. I am not a genius when it comes to reading these wiring diagrams, but I do get the jist of what is going where and how to read the flow of power. All I can see going into the relay, power wise, is Orange from the Power Distribution cell, and gray from the Oil pressure switch. We are replacing the Oil pressure switch in the AM just in case it has failed,and the wiring connector that plugs into it looks good, No corrosion or blackening. So we aren't replacing that just yet.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the oil pressure switch will not provide power till engine is running a few seconds. Are you saying there is no power available at anytime at terminal 87 of relay as if it was sitting in its socket?

melissa0703

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tahoe pigtail

@jennylove21326.. we are having the same situation please help us out our pump won't even kick in..how did you connect them..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia