Help! 07 Yukon died on side of road!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Brambilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was towing a 6000 travel trailer and the transmission was getting pretty hot, around 215 degrees. It was a hot day so I decided to pull over and check things out.

When I pulled up to the stop light it just died. It turns over fine but won't start. Every once and awhile I'll hear a fire but it feels as if maybe there's a fuel system problem. Maybe an overheated fuel pump?

I got it towed to a dealer and they will take a look in the morning. I'm hoping someone here has any experience with this one?

Sigh... stuck hours from home on memorial day weekend. Lovely!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I have read that others had the same problem and it was because of the fuel lines near the engine getting super heated and causing the fuel to vaporize inside the fuel rail. Once cooled down the truck should start without any problems OR you can try pushing the shrader valve on the fuel rail to purge the "steam/fuel vapor" and see if it starts. Just a thought.

OP
OP
P

Paul Brambilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have read that others had the same problem and it was because of the fuel lines near the engine getting super heated and causing the fuel to vaporize inside the fuel rail. Once cooled down the truck should start without any problems OR you can try pushing the shrader valve on the fuel rail to purge the "steam/fuel vapor" and see if it starts. Just a thought.
Interesting. What are people doing to prevent this from happening in the first place? In my case it only happened after I pulled off the freeway and pulled up to a stop light, but if it is what you are expecting couldn't it also happen while descending a mountain pass? I'm getting a little freaked out imagining losing all power and breaks with my trailer attached!

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Paul Brambilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As you might expect they took it for a test drive and everything was perfect they have no idea what is wrong. I told them to at least check the fuel pump pressure. Any other recommendations or should I just roll the dice and hope it doesn't stall again?

OP
OP
P

Paul Brambilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
fuel pump pressure is good. They think I'm crazy and nothing is wrong. :(

Today is going to be even hotter than yesterday, into the 90's and the only thing between me and home is Snoqualmie Pass. Sigh...

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Get a foil backed starter heat shield blanket and wrap your fuel lines from the fuel rail back towards the transmission and over towards the frame rail. I would also wrap the fuel rail itself since its metal and will conduct heat as well.

Something like this would be easy to do because it is self adhesive so you could wrap it around and stick it to itself. Its also relatively cheap and available at most parts stores.

rps20170527_222423_183.jpg rps20170527_222451_103.jpg

I would definitely suggest doing this before climbing the pass. Cheap insurance in my opinion and I would bet it will solve your issue. I would also suggest getting a transmission cooler at some point in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paul Brambilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get a foil backed starter heat shield blanket and wrap your fuel lines from the fuel rail back towards the transmission and over towards the frame rail.

Something like this would be easy to do because it is self adhesive so you could wrap it around and stick it to itself. Its also relatively cheap and available at most parts stores.

View attachment 82633 View attachment 82634

I would definitely suggest doing this before climbing the pass. Cheap insurance in my opinion and I would bet it will solve your issue. I would also suggest getting a transmission cooler at some point in the future.
You don't think the stock transmission cooler in the Denali is good enough?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alison92