Hello from Massachusetts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the forum in the last two weeks or so...

Hey, from Mass.!

I restored a Model A Ford with my dad, when I was 10 years old. We finished when I graduated high school.

I did basic things on other vehicles over the years. Then, I got an 05 Jeep TJ Rubicon as my daily driver just over three years ago. I got the TJ, specifically so I could do my own repairs and not pay someone else to keep it on the road.

The Jeep had a sudden unravelling in several areas, that were going to take me off the road too long or cost too much out of pocket. I had to find a replacement daily driver; and fast!

I always loved C/K pickups, Blazers and Suburbans. The square bodies and older models are getting crazy money, so that was out for me.

I just happened to see an 04 Tahoe for sale locally on Craigslist. I was the first to go see it and I made the deal right away. It needs the outer rockers replaced from the edge just below the doors and the rear corners have previously been repaired (they look good from 5 feet - good for now), but the frame and underside of the body looked good for a New England truck.

It has 194k miles, but the engine and transmission are so quiet and smooth! Love the sound of the 5.3 with the after market exhaust! Sounds better than some lower mileage trucks I have seen.

Pluses for me: Z71 package with G80 axle locker, leather interior was mint, stainless steel brake lines already installed, full exhaust system with throaty stainless cat-back installed. It seems to have every option, except heated seats and the electric seat back recline button. Entertainment center, everything...

Somebody did take the Z71 roof rack (with kayak roller) at some point. I am bummed about that! Maybe the had a low garage door or just wanted to go for more of a street look with the low-profile 20's.

Priority repairs include rotors and pads, addressing ABS sensors making light/chime come on at 55+ MPH. I'll do the fronts (pull and clean the sensors and where they attach to the hub) first and see what happens.

I absolutely love driving this truck!
I look forward to learning all the Chevy quirks, tips and tricks from the experts here on the forum.

P.S.: I traded the 20 inch rims for some stock rims. I needed better tires than the low profile 285/50 R20 that was there and wanted to move into some 265/75 R16 all-terrains. There are way more tire options on the 16 inch rims, than on the 20's. At least on 16's, I can get some great Cooper AT tires for less than $120 each!

20211027_162401 (1).jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

More pics of the truck, please.

OP
OP
MassHoe04

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

More pics of the truck, please.
Thanks! It is not the most glamorous or pristine Tahoe on the road but, in time, she'll come around...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks! It is not the most glamorous or pristine Tahoe on the road but, in time, she'll come around...
Keep working at it. I bought my 05 and immediately went to work on it. I can say, with no problems, that it is now worth over $30k and is as dependable as anything out there and surely more dependable than the 2021 on GM products. You will count your lucky stars that you own it.

OP
OP
MassHoe04

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep working at it. I bought my 05 and immediately went to work on it. I can say, with no problems, that it is now worth over $30k and is as dependable as anything out there and surely more dependable than the 2021 on GM products. You will count your lucky stars that you own it.
Better late than never, I suppose, but... Thank you for your service!
Sincere thanks to all veterans living and lost, as well as active and retired members of the military for serving!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from NYC!

Nice find! Craigslist is the last place I would look for anything [due to all the sketchy sellers] but glad it worked out for you.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome from NJ. FYI--The Z71 came with 17's when new. The non Z71's came with the 16's. Lower sills--below the doors--is a very common area to rust, along with the dog leg area in salty states. My 03 is starting to rust now.

OP
OP
MassHoe04

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from NYC!

Nice find! Craigslist is the last place I would look for anything [due to all the sketchy sellers] but glad it worked out for you. Nice find!
I didn't know until I got there, but I had worked with and knew two of the guy's cousins! He held on a handshake, with no deposit, for two days. After our handshake for $6,500... He had someone from NY call to offer $7,200 ($500 more), but he kept his agreement with me instead of taking the higher offer. Needs some minor work, like I said, but I am happy with it overall.

$6,500 might be high compared to a lot in the south, but I did not have time to wait or travel. In New England, once you dip get close to $5k, they would not be anything you want to daily drive...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas