Heavy duty coil springs 2008 yukon xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohshard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use a 2008 GMC Yukon XL 1500 two wheel drive as a work truck, and keep about 500 lb of tools and materials in the back cargo area at all times. Rear of the truck is noticeably lower, had a local shop changed out the shocks to Ranchos, and replace the coil springs but the factory coil springs just aren't doing it.
Would like to know if there's a heavier-duty spring I can use, as well as new shocks. Also willing to put in a decent airbag leveling kit. Any suggestions?

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a 2008 GMC Yukon XL 1500 two wheel drive as a work truck, and keep about 500 lb of tools and materials in the back cargo area at all times. Rear of the truck is noticeably lower, had a local shop changed out the shocks to Ranchos, and replace the coil springs but the factory coil springs just aren't doing it.
Would like to know if there's a heavier-duty spring I can use, as well as new shocks. Also willing to put in a decent airbag leveling kit. Any suggestions?
The strongest shocks I have ever used were Bilstein Heavy Duties - they are "high pressure" Nitrogen charged and exceptionally well built...definitely worth a look. I have enclosed a link for you with some great options for your truck -

https://shockwarehouse.com/index.cf...elected_make=GMC&model_name=Yukon+XL+1500+2WD

https://shockwarehouse.com/site/pro...uburban-1500-GMC-Yukon-XL-1500-Rear-24-186834

OP
OP
M

mohshard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The bilstein's look good, and I'll probably go with those shocks but at this point my Springs are so compressed the shocks basically can't work

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The rear HD springs on a 4x4 are 25783733 - 45H2164 and on mine easily hold 500+ pounds without setting level still. My truck has the plain ZW7 suspension without auto-level.

You will likely want to add airbags to your springs from Air Lift, #60769 if I remember right.

OP
OP
M

mohshard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The rear HD springs on a 4x4 are 25783733 - 45H2164 and on mine easily hold 500+ pounds without setting level still. My truck has the plain ZW7 suspension without auto-level.

You will likely want to add airbags to your springs from Air Lift, #60769 if I remember right.

I used the Airlift kit previously for towing my boat, and had one of the airbags blow at the boat ramp. Not a fun experience is there a tougher or better airbag kit?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Airlift kit previously for towing my boat, and had one of the airbags blow at the boat ramp. Not a fun experience is there a tougher or better airbag kit?

I've blown them too but wouldn't hesitate to buy again and keep the air pressure lower. But, Firestone and someone else... can't remember their name, makes them. Timbren?

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the MOOG 80169 in the back of my tahoe 2WD, picked up a little lift to offset the front leveling kit I installed. would be a good spring to pair with the Yellow Bilsteins or the Red KYB monomax shocks which are made for loads.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a pic of my Tahoe on 33s with the MOOG springs and a whatever ACdelco shocks that rockauto said were Heavy duty (not really though). car and trailer are probably 5,000 plus a week's worth of luggage, golf clubs, tools, and a full cooler in the back. The 2" level really makes the front look high, but if you are stock stuff up front I bet the rear would sit about 3/4-1" higher than the factory springs unloaded.

IMG_5160.JPG

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That Moog spring #80169 is a universal heavy duty spring that do do fine and with the air springs, I would use Firestone, they combination would be great, IMO. May not even need the Bilstein shocks if you go that route.
Whatever way you go make sure you redo the alignment.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a pic of my Tahoe on 33s with the MOOG springs and a whatever ACdelco shocks that rockauto said were Heavy duty (not really though). car and trailer are probably 5,000 plus a week's worth of luggage, golf clubs, tools, and a full cooler in the back. The 2" level really makes the front look high, but if you are stock stuff up front I bet the rear would sit about 3/4-1" higher than the factory springs unloaded.

View attachment 242255

I'd bet you'd be surprised if you put that setup on the scales!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345