Heater Hose firewall connections -replace, revision, update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the engine out of my 04 Tahoe currently. It's being replaced with a 6.0 lq9. I seem to have read that the plastic heater hose Q/D's at the firewall tend to be a problem at some point, so I'm thinking about replacing them now. Mine have never leaked or caused any problems but the access to them now is about as good as it gets.
Are there any aftermarket options or updated/upgraded options that are a better way to go than the factory plastic Q/D fittings and heater hoses?
With the engine out, are there any other things that would be best tended to now, before the new engine goes back in? Thanks in advance.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dorman makes replacements. Replace them, they dry out and become very brittle and snap. It much les painful doing it with the engine out! Clean connection, replace ground strap if needed behind engine on firewall. I got mine from rockauto for my 05 Denali. Cooling hooses that come up to the T's also have a molded male fitting. Break it off (on purpose) and buy the Dorman "fix" for it. That oem plastic male fitting dries out and becomes brittle also.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the engine out of my 04 Tahoe currently. It's being replaced with a 6.0 lq9. I seem to have read that the plastic heater hose Q/D's at the firewall tend to be a problem at some point, so I'm thinking about replacing them now. Mine have never leaked or caused any problems but the access to them now is about as good as it gets.
Are there any aftermarket options or updated/upgraded options that are a better way to go than the factory plastic Q/D fittings and heater hoses?
With the engine out, are there any other things that would be best tended to now, before the new engine goes back in? Thanks in advance.
Gruven made a run of metal ones specifically at the behest of a forum member here, Ken. @kbuskill

Reaction score
15055342 and 15055343

One is the inlet side, the other is the outlet side, not sure which is which.

There's two different ones because the angle of the auxillary (rear) heater pipes are at different angles.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now might be a good time to check, clean, and/or replace all grounds in the engine bay. You may also want to replace the main lead between the alternator and the fuse box. I've read about cases where that wire corrodes inside.

Read up on "the big three".

Check all your radiator hoses, replace as needed.

Might want to replace the soft lines coming from your transmission to the radiator.

Now would be a good time to acquire a catch can, and maybe add an external transmission filter.

If you're adding efans, do that now.

If you are going to do a hydro boost conversion, now would be good.

Check out your power steering pump and the shafts between your steering wheel and your front wheels.

Got any suspension components that need attention? At least check right now. Maybe even consider a changeover to coilover shocks.

Check for any rust, clean up and paint the surfaces.

Check your AC components.

Check your evaporative system components.
Check your transmission and your transfer case -- especially your transfer case, due to potential pump rub.

Now is likely a good time to check all your engine bay wiring, to make sure it isn't brittle, worn, etc.

Well... That was a longer list than I had anticipated... Sorry about that.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
15055342 and 15055343

One is the inlet side, the other is the outlet side, not sure which is which.

There's two different ones because the angle of the auxillary (rear) heater pipes are at different angles.

^^^ THIS.

xx343 is the white connector and goes to the heater core pipe that is nearest the driver's side. This one has more of a 90° tee than the black tee. The hose coming from the water pump is the one that has the "y" in it at the WP connection.

xx342 is the black connector and goes to the heater core pipe that is nearest the passenger fender. This one has less than a 90° tee that takes the down connection away from the firewall (angles toward the front of the engine compartment).

Note the different styles of hose connectors that come from the WP.

Heater hose Ts.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9