Heated/Cooled Seats, how exactly do they work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diggerdan11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Yukon XL Denali

Ok so i have been searching and searching online and on this forum, but I cant really get the answers I seek. My heated seats on the driver side do not work and im trying to figure out where to start troubleshooting. The passenger side works great, and the cooled seats work, just not the heated seat on the driver side.

I have some experience with other style heated seats that have the cushion that heats up, but i guess the Heated and cooled seats are different? But I have not been able to find anything online that explains exactly how they work.

It seems to me like there are two fans, one on the bottom that blows air up into the seat and one on the back that sucks and blows air out the vent in the back. I noticed that the fan runs on the seat when the heated seat is on, just not as powerfully as running it on cool.

So is there some sort of heating element built into the fan that blows warm air into the seat? Because thats what it seems like to me, and if that is the case then there is an issue with the heating element in the fan.

The first thing i checked after searching for a long time was the module under the passenger seat, but everything seems fine with it and it does not have any issues with the plug.

I am just trying to see if anyone else has had the same issue as me, most things i find online are issues with heating and colling both not working, and im just having issues with the heat.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Yukon XL Denali

Ok so i have been searching and searching online and on this forum, but I cant really get the answers I seek. My heated seats on the driver side do not work and im trying to figure out where to start troubleshooting. The passenger side works great, and the cooled seats work, just not the heated seat on the driver side.

I have some experience with other style heated seats that have the cushion that heats up, but i guess the Heated and cooled seats are different? But I have not been able to find anything online that explains exactly how they work.

It seems to me like there are two fans, one on the bottom that blows air up into the seat and one on the back that sucks and blows air out the vent in the back. I noticed that the fan runs on the seat when the heated seat is on, just not as powerfully as running it on cool.

So is there some sort of heating element built into the fan that blows warm air into the seat? Because thats what it seems like to me, and if that is the case then there is an issue with the heating element in the fan.

The first thing i checked after searching for a long time was the module under the passenger seat, but everything seems fine with it and it does not have any issues with the plug.

I am just trying to see if anyone else has had the same issue as me, most things i find online are issues with heating and colling both not working, and im just having issues with the heat.

So i'm going to go ahead and guess, based on how well I know General Motors, that you have the same elements that are now used in the Cadillacs. It's a ducted pad that contains a self-regulating heating element laminated on top. If so, then you need those replaced. It happens on the Cadillacs all the freakin time. The newer style self-regulating elements are junk, and they don't last. Unfortunately, they're also quite a bit more expensive than the standard externally regulated resistive elements we've come to know and love (because they don't break...ever).

OP
OP
Diggerdan11

Diggerdan11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i'm going to go ahead and guess, based on how well I know General Motors, that you have the same elements that are now used in the Cadillacs. It's a ducted pad that contains a self-regulating heating element laminated on top. If so, then you need those replaced. It happens on the Cadillacs all the freakin time. The newer style self-regulating elements are junk, and they don't last. Unfortunately, they're also quite a bit more expensive than the standard externally regulated resistive elements we've come to know and love (because they don't break...ever).

It is the same as the Escalade. So it’s a pad in the seat that is just a little different than the non cooled version? And you probably have to take the seat apart to replace it?

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the same as the Escalade. So it’s a pad in the seat that is just a little different than the non cooled version? And you probably have to take the seat apart to replace it?

The same thing is used in all the Cadillacs now. They have changed over completely to "self-regulating" seat heaters, and they suck on all counts. More expensive, take longer to heat up, don't get as hot, and they don't last. Basically it's a step back in every single way possible.

The "unit" is a pad that contains ductwork for the ventilated function and a heating element laminated on the top. You have to replace the whole unit, and there are two of them in each seat (one for the base and one for the back). For my XTS they were $350.

OP
OP
Diggerdan11

Diggerdan11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing is used in all the Cadillacs now. They have changed over completely to "self-regulating" seat heaters, and they suck on all counts. More expensive, take longer to heat up, don't get as hot, and they don't last. Basically it's a step back in every single way possible.

The "unit" is a pad that contains ductwork for the ventilated function and a heating element laminated on the top. You have to replace the whole unit, and there are two of them in each seat (one for the base and one for the back). For my XTS they were $350.

Thanks! Now I just have track down some. All the seat heaters I saw online were for non cooled seats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE