Headlights flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same. Never causes an issue, just weird seeing it dim for a second

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its funny to see this thread. Mine has been more noticeable lately. I even notice them flicker/dim while driving. Its more pronounced when parked.
I'll be putting my batteries on the charger this weekend but may consider a new alternator, mine has over 220k miles on it. May be time for a new one. I'll get it checked first.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing everyone seems to be missing is the grounds. I started to notice some strange electrical behavior, but nothing that would cause concern. I believe it was masked because of the fact that I have 2 batteries. But the lights would flicker, dim, some of the accessories would feel "weak".

I spent a few hours yesterday and changed the entire ground cable, and voila, all the problems are gone. I also took the opportunity to clean up the chassis ground point at the front of the vehicle, which was full of gunk. No more issues!

The cable is only 50 bucks, and takes 2 or so hours to change. Highly advised.

cjlaw73

Reaction score
One thing everyone seems to be missing is the grounds. I started to notice some strange electrical behavior, but nothing that would cause concern. I believe it was masked because of the fact that I have 2 batteries. But the lights would flicker, dim, some of the accessories would feel "weak".

I spent a few hours yesterday and changed the entire ground cable, and voila, all the problems are gone. I also took the opportunity to clean up the chassis ground point at the front of the vehicle, which was full of gunk. No more issues!

The cable is only 50 bucks, and takes 2 or so hours to change. Highly advised.

Yeah that's also a pretty common source of electrical problems with Vettes. I'll have to look into it.

My flickering issue resurfaced again. It was weird - after I replaced my headlight bulb, nothing flickered for like a week, but now its back.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. I actually never thought of my grounds, more of my alternator. Which I believe is the original with 221k miles.

Would the Big 3 be worth it? I believe that has something to do with the ground, right?
I'm going to go look it up, haha

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. my 07 yuk’s headlights will flicker or dim for a second
It doesn’t happen all the time.
When switching from park into drive/reverse it also happens. My amperage appears normal. (14+) it almost sounds like a cycle in the motor and the lights will flicker. My battery is about 5 yrs old.
Should I start with replacing it first?

Look up and read about EPM and RVC, Electronic Power Management and Regulated Voltage Control. Check your grounds and the cables for corrosion. EPM and RVC extened the life of the alternator and battery, yours is old to us Floridians.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to update this. Had the alternator replaced and the problem is finally gone.

Good to know. Glad it worked out.
What alternator did you get to replace the factory one?

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully over the holidays I'll have time to do some checking on mine. It couldn't hurt to clean the grounds and have the battery and alternator checked. The flickering at night is annoying, to say the least.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in California, battery's rarely make it past 4yrs (premium AGM, standard battery's even less) atleast in my experience, I can usually tell when the battery is starting to get weak by the lights flickering and/or the voltage dipping and/or when starting, these are all notably different when the battery gets weaker, it may still work but becomes untrustworthy to me because they can just die a sudden death at any point beyond that. doing the big 3 upgrade does seem to help a little bit some say it does not make any difference electrically but it certainly couldn't hurt electricity will always take the shortest path that's all you have to keep in mind. I have solved other flickering light issue's by simply grounding the lights to the frame at the nearest point on the front of the truck if nothing else works that will. the nbs and nnbs have historical ground problems by nature of design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9