Headlights flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdj71

Reaction score
Hi guys. my 07 yuk’s headlights will flicker or dim for a second
It doesn’t happen all the time.
When switching from park into drive/reverse it also happens. My amperage appears normal. (14+) it almost sounds like a cycle in the motor and the lights will flicker. My battery is about 5 yrs old.
Should I start with replacing it first?

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be a weak battery, but I would clean and check all your grounds as well, the change in the weather kills a lot of battery's seasonally so it could be just that, but better to be on the safe side. you can have your battery tested for free at many places

OP
OP
jdj71

jdj71

Reaction score
could be a weak battery, but I would clean and check all your grounds as well, the change in the weather kills a lot of battery's seasonally so it could be just that, but better to be on the safe side. you can have your battery tested for free at many places
Thx for the quick response.
My mechanic doesn’t seem too worried about it
It’s been happening now for about a year. ( I guess I omitted that info ). But. Ya I’ll check out the battery. Thx

cjlaw73

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my Tahoe. Used to happen intermittently but now is constant. The flickering also happens with all lighting- taillights, interior lights, etc. When the engine is off they are fine, but when the engine is running it occurs.

OP
OP
jdj71

jdj71

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my Tahoe. Used to happen intermittently but now is constant. The flickering also happens with all lighting- taillights, interior lights, etc. When the engine is off they are fine, but when the engine is running it occurs.

Yep. Mine is doing the same. My mechanic said to not worry about it.
Did u try battery replacement?

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Yep. Mine is doing the same. My mechanic said to not worry about it.
Did u try battery replacement?
After I saw your thread I checked the battery. It’s 4 years old. I may try hooking it up to a battery tender overnight to see what happens. I saw another thread that mentioned the alternator voltage regulator. Did a Google search on it and saw some videos that look to show a similar problem. I might try replacing the that - seemed to be a plausible explanation since it occurs only when the engine is running. Have you noticed it occurring with other lights.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the same behavior. It's most noticeable when I shift from park to reverse, or from reverse to drive. The headlights will flicker ever so slightly. They'll randomly do it while driving, too. Since I just got mine, I didn't know if that was normal or not. I have a friend who's wife drives a Cadillac SLS that does the same thing. He says it's done that since they've owned it. So I figured it was normal.

OP
OP
jdj71

jdj71

Reaction score
After I saw your thread I checked the battery. It’s 4 years old. I may try hooking it up to a battery tender overnight to see what happens. I saw another thread that mentioned the alternator voltage regulator. Did a Google search on it and saw some videos that look to show a similar problem. I might try replacing the that - seemed to be a plausible explanation since it occurs only when the engine is running. Have you noticed it occurring with other lights.

I think all the lights do it.

davidzog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a similar issue on an older Buick. I replaced teh battery, but no change. I had the alternator tested at Autozone and it checked out fine....

After another month I decided toreplace the alternator and never had another problem. Apparently the regulator flucuation was small enough that the Autozone machine couldn't detect it....

cjlaw73

Reaction score
Well over the weekend I noticed my headlight went out. I replaced it the next day, and either I'm crazy or all of the flickering has stopped.

The only other explanantion I can think of is that I replaced the DRL in that same fixture, probably 6 months ago or so. Did I perhaps tweak a wire when replacing the DRL and happen to "fix it" while replacing the headlight bulb?

Weird. Got to love GM electrical. I remember a loose electrical connection in the door jam of a Vette I use to own causing a bunch of issues with my BCM or PCM.

Last edited: