Both left and right brake lights not working, third brake light works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there not a separate fuse for the left and right brake lights and the third brake light, also called high mounted brake light? To me, it makes no sense for all bulbs to go bad at same time. Could be the t/s switch but check for separate fuses.
Yes, I also had this problem on my K3500 OBS: the taillights didn't work but the cab brake light did. Some random dude mentioned my brake lights didn't work, like months after I bought the truck, LoL

I changed the brake light switch, then the multifunction switch (turn signal lever), and finally found some hacked wiring and missing large fuse on fusebox.

I think what happened is the multi function switch was bad and PO was trying to Jerry rig something.

IIRC the cab brake light doesn't go through taillight circuit. Not sure why it was designed like that, maybe a fail-safe idea? And I didn't (or can't confirm) that it carried over into the later generations

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem solved. I'd like to say that I performed some brilliant episode of deep electronic analysis and replaced a 20' harness that weaved from the engine compartment into the dash, which I had to R&R, through a channel in the body all the way to the rear of the vehicle. But being that I am an honest guy, I replaced 2 defective bulbs for $12 and solved the problem. I was going to do that before I submitted this thread but thought the odds were too remote that both went out when I had just changed one 6 months ago. One key thing to remember though is to NOT touch the bulb glass with your skin. The oils will damage the glass and shorten the life, which is probably what I did.
Nice to know I’m not the only one who does stuff like this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660