Headgaskets, Felpro permatorque vs. OEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations?

The Felpro advertises better sealing on rougher surfaces through some coating that covers the entire gasket,
FPHG.jpg
vs OEM GM..
GMHG.jpg
Apex and Elring brand look identical to OEM GM going by rockauto's pictures..

was leaning towards the felpro's, saw a couple negative reviews, something about edelbrock recommending against them.. now I'm leaning towards OEM.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations?

The Felpro advertises better sealing on rougher surfaces through some coating that covers the entire gasket,
View attachment 403686
vs OEM GM..
View attachment 403688
Apex and Elring brand look identical to OEM GM going by rockauto's pictures..

was leaning towards the felpro's, saw a couple negative reviews, something about edelbrock recommending against them.. now I'm leaning towards OEM.
I used fel-pro in my cam swap 20k miles ago, and no problems.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every recommendation I've every seen for an ls built is use the oem ls9 gaskets.

but for a daily, I don't know that it matters. might be worth having them surfaced if your worried about it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One variable here is how you clean the head and block surfaces. I used only the permatex chemical gasket remover, plastic razor blades and microfiber towels. Worked great and left no marks of any kind. But if you used scotchbrite wheels or steel razor blades, you’re going to have micro scratches or worse.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs!
Sounds like either is fine..

Interesting that the LS9 gasket doesn't appear to have sealing beads...

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One variable here is how you clean the head and block surfaces. I used only the permatex chemical gasket remover, plastic razor blades and microfiber towels. Worked great and left no marks of any kind. But if you used scotchbrite wheels or steel razor blades, you’re going to have micro scratches or worse.
Neat plastic razor blades!? Will have to look for those. Will get some permatex remover too, thanks!

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the LS9 gaskets.. They look just like the oem ones did.. They are a bit
thicker .054 vs .051. But they hold boost better. On a stock set up the stock
would be my choice IF the surfaces are nice and clean and not gouged up at all
I would recommend at the minimum cleaning up the heads and doing just a resurface'
on them. You prob want new valve seals, springs, retainers anyway. If the repl cam is stock
then just stock stuff works great and isn't that expensive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman