Has Anyone Seen this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Isn’t one of the main selling points of air suspension that it can self level? Seems unreasonable to me that it would be affected by altitude. It should be increasing or decreasing pressures as needed taking feedback from the suspension height sensors.

G-Frog

Reaction score
Isn’t one of the main selling points of air suspension that it can self level? Seems unreasonable to me that it would be affected by altitude. It should be increasing or decreasing pressures as needed taking feedback from the suspension height sensors.
I agree with you, the system should be smart enough to automatically adjust.
I was reading a post on the Audi forum that complained of Altitude issues on his suspension. He was complaining that he lives at sea level, but when he goes skiing at Tahoe, his suspension gets all screw-up and he get a suspension light in his dash. Audi Air sickness .
I have also seen a special car care site just for Colorado drivers High Altitude Car Care
High altitude does do strange things to both vehicles and people. ;)

OP
OP
C

Campingfamco

Reaction score
Air expands with altitude. Internal pressures in tires can go up by 2-3 psi at 5000'. Maybe the increased pressure in the suspension caused the suspension to increase height with altitude. After 30 years on P-3 Orions, Seaking and S92 Helicopters I've experienced first hand all the weird stuff that happens to contained gases at altitude.

PS. Don't eat baked beans before flying.;)
I wonder if thats related too. I would think the system would compensate for the altitude, but maybe not?

OP
OP
C

Campingfamco

Reaction score
Don’t you choose the height on the air ride?
It defaults to normal and for towing that’s where I leave it. I also know above 50 or 55 it squats slightly for aerodynamics on its own. It doesn’t show on the screen though. Unless that’s my grand Cherokee I’m thinking of . When you’re towing though having it squat isn’t what you want so I would think tow haul mode would disable that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout