Has anyone modified or moved the windshield washer fluid reservoir for more wheel well clearance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from 275/60/20 on stock LTZ wheels 20x9 (+31) to 295/65/18 on Fuel Trophy 18x9 (+1).
I had already completed a small nor-cal mod and pulled back the liners in the front after trimming the bumper brackets some. Now with the new wheels/tires I’m barely rubbing the liner on the drivers side front where the windshield washer fluid reservoir is. At least I’m not rubbing the sway bar anymore like the LTZ wheels/33’s.

I purchased a universal style square reservoir and am about to tackle installing it in the secondary battery tray. I’m moving the pump and sensors over to the new tank. The only downside is I’ll lose my rear washer but I never use it anyway. Has anyone here done this before?
I saw a thread on gmfs where a guy did it on his nnbs Silverado and it should be the same.

OP
OP
JT 07LTZ

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn no one has had issues with how close it sits to the fender liner?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As HiHoe suggests, if the rub is only with the fender liner, and not with the washer reservoir itself (through the fender liner) or any other solid part, you can try using a heat gun and re-shape the fender liner to a position that eliminates the rub. Or you can make a pair of small slits in the fender liner at the point of the rub and insert a zip tie through the fender liner and anchor the zip tie to something solid and 'pull' the fender liner back from the tire.

In my case for my tire size, I had no rubs, but the edge of the tire came very, very close to the fender liner at the front, near the bottom a few inches above the bottom of the liner, when turning the tire from the steering wheel. I purchased some plastic push pins, the same as the ones that already exist at the front bottom of the fender liner. While holding the fender liner back away from the tire, I drilled a few new holes through the fender liner and the lower plastic backing, and then inserted the plastic push pins into the new holes. This had the effect of slightly re-shaping the curve of the fender liner at the front where the tire clearance was low, and it bought me an additional 1/4+ inch of clearance, which was more than enough for me.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to address mine and my current plan of action is to soften it with a heat gun and reshape it. I don't need much but I've also just looked at it from the fenders so I'm not sure it's even gonna work. If not, I may dig the salvage yards for a smaller one from another SUV with front and rear washers. I'll try to keep it GM for ease of retrofitting. Maybe look for one from a midsize or even compact SUV.

OP
OP
JT 07LTZ

JT 07LTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried loosening the screws this weekend and warming it with a heat gun to try to reshape it back some. It wouldn’t move as much as I’d like it to. I think I’m going to have to just replace it. I’m not rubbing it in normal driving right now but on tight turns I’m hitting it through the wheel well.
Chevy really messed us up with these square wheel wells and putting that washer right there.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have 285/70/17 on our 03 denali and have very very little rub. I will probably secure part of the issue and heat gun the other part.

Mighty Hd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having the same problem with factory wheels and 2 inch wide spacers on 285s. I don’t see why you can’t use a heat gun to heat up the plastic tank and slightly remodeled it. That’s what I did with the wheel liner

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I am running 35's on mine I have had no problem until I increased my wheel travel to 9+ inches a few weeks ago. Now it is hitting a little... I will probably look at it soon to determine what I will need to do.. I will post up my solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71