Has anyone had the service center turn off the AFM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it can be done with a custom tune.
But has anyone had someone at the GM service center deactivate the AFM?

That in itself would eliminate most of the shaking people are experiencing. I see I can buy a plug in to do this. But if it could be done for free, that would be the perfect solution.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That in itself would eliminate most of the shaking people are experiencing. I see I can buy a plug in to do this. But if it could be done for free, that would be the perfect solution.

I don't think the violent shaking over 75 would be resolved by AFM deactivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the violent shaking over 75 would be resolved by AFM deactivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This isn't a problem my truck exhibits. I just don't like the vibration at the 35-45 mph zone. I would need to drive a couple hours to get to a 75 mph zone. lol

Weber Dude

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd like to know this too. That's why I use M5 everywhere other than jammin down the freeway. AMF is the only thing I don't like, other than that, it's smooth at all speeds, at least up to 85mph; haven't driven it faster than that.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just made a purchase from Range Technology for their AFM disabler. I'll post later to how it works.

k5blazerkeith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Range device works great, does away with the booming associated with the V4 mode at certain speeds/throttle positions...however, be aware, the device seems to draw a fair amount of power (the instructions with the device mention this)...truck sat over the weekend and Monday morning we had a dead battery. I had been noticing the starter turning over just a bit slower the past couple of weeks and didn't remember the Range device warning. I unplugged it all this week and starter cranks perfectly, no signs of battery drawdown. But having to use M5 sucks in the meantime. I think I'll just get in the habit of unplugging it every time I put it away for the night. I can't pin this down to the Range device, but I have also been experiencing some odd electronic things with the truck also - CEL light on a couple times, DIC cluster blank, memory seat recall doesn't work right, etc.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Range device works great, does away with the booming associated with the V4 mode at certain speeds/throttle positions...however, be aware, the device seems to draw a fair amount of power (the instructions with the device mention this)...truck sat over the weekend and Monday morning we had a dead battery. I had been noticing the starter turning over just a bit slower the past couple of weeks and didn't remember the Range device warning. I unplugged it all this week and starter cranks perfectly, no signs of battery drawdown. But having to use M5 sucks in the meantime. I think I'll just get in the habit of unplugging it every time I put it away for the night. I can't pin this down to the Range device, but I have also been experiencing some odd electronic things with the truck also - CEL light on a couple times, DIC cluster blank, memory seat recall doesn't work right, etc.
Really? I just plugged mine in yesterday. It works great!
Now you have me worried though. I have it plugged in and we are getting 2-3' of snow. I guess I will run out and unplug it for now.
I wish I would have read this prior to purchase. It makes the truck run exactly as I wished it would. However, I am not going to mess with it every time I drive. Heck placing the truck in manual mode it easier than that.

k5blazerkeith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not trying to scare anyone from using it (I still plan on using it!), just relating my experience. This whole week, with the Range unplugged, the battery has been perfect and starter cranks much quicker than it had been last week before the dead battery. I'm going to plug it back in this weekend and see what happens...but there's NO DOUBT, that the truck drives EXACTLY as GM SHOULD have made it drive with the Range device installed...silent, no booming, no weird power delays getting out of V4...even if I have to unplug it here and there, it's worth it to me...especially on a longer highway drive or trip...

Just for full disclosure, the only other change made from stock that even could have affected the battery somehow, would be the new HID kit I installed - however, that kit from Xenon Depot has been flawless in operation, and my battery and starter have been full power since unplugging the Range device. Not a scientific test, but seems conclusive to me...they do mention the draw in their directions also.

Weber Dude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Range power draw is what's kept me on the fence about the purchase. I might have to think about the Diablo inTune i2 to disable the AFM.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a couple days too late i reading this post. It makes the truck so much nicer and smoother to drive, I really can't stand when it is not plugged in.
I was nervous about the tune with having to reflash to OE every time it goes into the shop for repairs/updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv